noisy valves

Discussion in 'Horns' started by music matters, Jun 12, 2004.

1. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    I have had my new B1 for about 6 months now and the 2nd valve espescially, and the 3rd valve a little bit, are really noisy. When they come up you can hear a loud metal click every time like the felt isn't having an effect. I have checked inside and they look identical to my first valve which is quiet and I have oiled the guides etc but no difference. They work perfectly and the horn plays beautifully and the valves are fast and quick but they are much noisier than my Yamaha trumpet and Besson cornet. Does anyone know what is causing this? Has anyone experienced this problem before?...and is it anything to worry about? I am a bit surprised as everyone raves about Schilke valves being the best in the business. I am using Al Cass oil if that helps and have washed/cleaned them with my Brass Saver as well but to no avail.

2. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    The top or bottom caps are not tight enoungh, twist them down a tad harder... I have also seen a loose mouthpiece make this sound happen so make sure it is snug...

-marc

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I can tell you I have never been a fan Al Cass. Synthetic oils last longer and do more for noisier valves. If what DrunkIQ says doesn't help, I would try a good synthetic oil. IMO, there is none better than Zaja Blue. It is available at one of the TM sponsors, www.slidebone.com The prices there include shipping so they seem a little higher, but in reality when you compare them to others after they add shipping they are close. Irvin is a nice guy at slidebone too.

Jim

4. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    Marc - the valve caps and valves are on tight so I don't think it is that. M and C - I have Zaja Blue which I am using on my Yamaha trumpet - it works well on that but was really bad on my Besson Cornet where Al Cass is much better. I could put Zaja Blue on my Schilke but I read somewhere, dodn't know if its true, that Schilke designed the valves with Al Cass in mind. Also this is a very loud metal clicking noise that is really only on one valve and not the others so I am not sureif it is a choice of valve oil problem. I will try thye Zaja Blue on my Schilke though to check. Thank you both for your thoughts,
    Graham.

5. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Then one of your spings is probably out of wack... sometimes if you flip them over it will be ok - if not then you will need new ones. email [email protected] if the flipping of the vavle springs does not work.

-marc

btw - don't try aftermarket high speed springs - I have tried a few and they make the vavles slower....

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    If your Schilke is only 6 months old, the factory will make it "right" for you. Contact them... either Phil or let "theoldmaz" know and he'll give you direction.