Noisy valves ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Laursen, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Laursen

Laursen New Friend

Feb 4, 2010
    Hi all...

This is my first post here on TM, so here it goes...

First, I've played trombone some years but thats also some years ago. Now, I want to try trumpet just for the fun of it and I have no plans playing in a band or anything.

I have two trumpets. A Suzuki in their Concertino Class and a newly acquired Yamaha YTR-2335, got it at a great price... I'm from Denmark but it was equviliant to around 300-325 USD... And it was brand new, never used, never opened.

Anyway, the valves seems a bit noisy... The are very smooth to use but they make a bit noise as if they were rubbing slighty against the valves casings. The valves on my Suzuki trumpet are Monel valves and they're very quiet and runs just a bit smoother.

I've tried to clean a re-oil the valves with no luck. How do I solve this ?

Another question: I never use the Suzuki and was wondering if the valves from the Suzuki will fit and be usable in the Yamaha ? This might be a very stupid question but please don't flame me too much. I have no understanding of the more technical aspects of trumpets. I just like the sound of brass...

Cheers, Jakob

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Hello, Jakob - Welcome to TrumpetMaster. You have come to the right place for all sorts of trumpet-related information.

First, regarding the noisy valves, some models just have a different design and make more sound. My Yamaha also makes a bit of sound when I work the valves. The only way to really figure it out is to try different things such as swapping the valves from one casing to another, operating them slowly and independently and listening very closely to figure out if the sound is coming from one particular place or another, etc.

Regarding the Suzuki valves, it is very unlikely that they will even fit inside of the casings, let alone work for playing unless the Suzuki is an exact copy of the Yamaha and made with matching tooling. There are no standards for design and manufacture of trumpets so no two are alike. While Yamaha has very tight and uniform manufacturing standards so valves from one 2335 will fit into another 2335, most manufacturers hand-lap each set of pistons/casings so that valves from one trumpet will not work correctly in another of the same model. I tried to swap valves in a damaged Selmer/Bundy trumpet with another similar model and they would not fit.

So, you will just need to do some experimenting to figure out if the sound in your Yamaha is the springs or the guides or interference with the piston. You might try putting some slide grease on the guides and springs (particularly in the slots on the top of the pistons where the guides slide) to see if that helps.

Good luck and good playing. By the way, try to find a band. Trumpets like to be around other instruments. It makes them happy.

3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    In addition to the comments by Come Back Kid, the noise that you describe could simply be the brand new pistons 'wearin in' to the casings. This is very common and the valves should be cleaned with a lint free cloth or paper towel after every useage and relubed. This should continue until all evidences of worn metal, ( black smudges on the wiping cloth or towel ), are no longer seen.

OLDLOU>>

4. Laursen

Laursen New Friend

Feb 4, 2010
    Thanks both of you :) I thought changing valves from my Suzuki to my Yamaha was a bit of a stretch, but now I know. I read good thing about the 2335 so I was a little sad to find out of the noise. But hopefully it will go away. Otherwise I will take it back to the store and have them take a look at it.

Jakob

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Hi Jakob and welcome to TM,

It's best to follow OldLou's advice. He has the experience to back it up. New horns often have tight clearances and need a break-in period to quiet down and become as quick as they will. Perhaps using a lighter viscosity oil like Ultra Pure in the Yamaha will help. Play it a lot and clean it a lot and in a month or so you will likely be pleased with the result, both in your playing and in the behavior of the valves.

veery

6. Laursen

Laursen New Friend

Feb 4, 2010
    Thanks, I actually called up the store and asked them about it. They said the same as you guys have but they offered me to return the 2335 and get a Getzen 380S instead for around 50 USD more. He knew about the valves being a bit noisy on Yamaha's but he also told that sometimes it would go away and other times the noise would only decrease.

Valve noise or not, should I get the Getzen 390S for 50 bucks more ?

7. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Welcome to TM.

Piston noise can also come from the top piston cap not being fully tightened. Also, metal valve guides can be noiser than nylon valve guides. Well lubricated pistons will also lessen and noise.

Pistons from different brands or models will likely not be interchangable.

If my reply does not help, there will be someone here whose answer will help. Lots of good knowledge can be found on the TM.

8. Laursen

Laursen New Friend

Feb 4, 2010
    Hi Bourbon City...

Thanks for your answer it is definitely helpful for me. As of now I gathering as much information as possible regarding overall knowledge of trumpets and the more technical aspects :) This is all new to me :)

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I'd take the Getzen!

v

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

amen!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oldlou>>