Non-Kosher Trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jcoffey, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Jcoffey

Jcoffey New Friend

Aug 20, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I have an interesting question, especially for those of y'all who teach trumpet at the university level. I'm not currently in the market for a Bb per se, but I plan on owning a different one by the time I head off to grad school in two years. I have tested several different horns at stores and ones that belong to friends, and one horn that sticks out to me is the Cannonball 789RL. As I'm not in the thick of a search for a new horn, I haven't played it enough to fall in love with it, just enough to peak my interest. Anyways, in a perfect world auditions would be 100% based on playing, but I'm sure that's not always the case. If I was to walk in to an audition with a Barbara Butler, Ray Mase, etc. holding a Cannonball trumpet or some other random brand that isn't Bach, Yamaha, Schilke, etc. would that hurt my chances of being accepted? How much does image come into play in an audition setting, specifically a graduate school audition (since that's my next big milestone)?

2. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    JCoffey, in my opinion if your referees are concerned about what horn you're playing, rather than your trumpet abilities, I think I would look for another school. Since you mention non-kosher horns,perhaps you could avoid any problems if you audition with a shofar.:D

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I'm not a University instructor so my answer is not directly applicable, but as far as I know the desire for section uniformity may come during orchestra selection but should not be an issue in an audition. Meanwhile, my real purpose is to cast a vote in favor of the Cannonball. I tried one and really liked it. As soon as I am good enough to become worthy of one, I plan to see if I can find one to add to the stable. Right now, I just can't do it justice.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If your playing makes them sit up and pay attention, you can play a ying yang trumpet made out of plastic. Normally, if you want their undivided attention, it makes sense to at least start your career "standard" and that means Bach, Yamaha, Schilke, Kanstul, Getzen, NYTC and the like. Cannonball is not on anybodies "standard list".

If you are a jazz player, your chances for brand tolerance are MUCH higher.

5. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Josh, I don't think they'll care too much what horn you play so long as how you play it. That being said, they probably will have some preformed judgments about what kind of player you are and how your sound will be with a non-conventional trumpet.

6. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Some teachers will want you to play a specific make/model and others won't care as long as you get what they consider to be a good trumpet tone and you are in control of the instrument and the music.

You might consider asking others who have already auditioned for the schools and/or the people you will be auditioning for and see what they have to say about how things went and whether any comments were made about the instrument.

7. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    As long as none of my students walk in with a horn with 4 bells attached I'm happy. Really it's what comes out of the bell that matters to me in my studio.
    -T

8. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    As long as none of my students walk in with a horn with 4 bells attached I'm happy. Really it's what comes out of the bell that matters to me in my studio.
    -T

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    All trumpets are non-kosher, in that they aren't food.

Play your butt off!

10. tipo mastr

tipo mastr New Friend

Jun 6, 2009
    A TRUMPET IS A TRUMPET. I play a callet soloist, and I hardly do any jazz playing. Yes, it's regarded as a jazz horn, but the bottom line is that it only plays like a jazz horn if you play like a jazz player. I play a callet instead of a bach(or any other "legit" horn) because the callet is a free, easy blow and the horn plays in tune. Nothing else to it.

Vulgano Brother likes this.