Non-Kosher Trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jcoffey, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Charlie Parker once played a plastic sax and played the heck out of it.
    If you like the Cannonball, go for it. The type of horn you play isn't going to make any difference at the college level. However, the responsibility of making it sing is.

2. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I don't think that he's worried about the sound it gets. Obviously, he already likes it. He simply wants to know if the big name teachers (i.e. Barbara Butler, Jim Thompson, Mark Gould) are going to have preformed ideas about him. I personally don't think they will, unless the trumpet looks like a brass bludgeon. They may not even notice what you play at first because they will want you to jump right in on the audition.

P.S., JCoffey, you know me. PM me!

3. Jcoffey

Jcoffey New Friend

Aug 20, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for all the input so far, everyone.
    So what about attitude, personality and such? How much weight does that carry in a live audition?

4. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Depends on the audition -- for a college entrance audition those factors carry a lot of weight. For a performing job, they carry much less weight since many such auditions are carried on behind a screen so the panel can never see the performer, they can only hear him/her. In those auditions it's only the music which counts.

5. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Well, I think attitude is important, because the teacher has to like you as a person. Also, they may want to see if you are a well-balanced person or not. I think every teacher will take a little less-advanced student who is super excited and works hard rather than a lazy slob with lots of talent.