non playing time lip problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetnick, Jul 18, 2006.

1. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Dear Manny,

The following may sound strange...usually people do complain about problems with their lips while they are playing...Well, I get a problem when I don't! After few days (3-5) without any playing (vacations for ex.) my lips get rough and sometimes get few littles cracks or bruises even when I drink a lot of water...is this normal? Well, You can probably say that I just have to continue playing, which is kind of resolving the problem...Hope I explained well enough with my bad english the problem...

:dontknow:

Nick

2. dkelley

dkelley New Friend

Jan 16, 2006
    This happens to me too. The skin of my lips gets kind of stiff and rough. I think regular practice rubs off the rough skin on my lips. When I don't practice for a few days it starts building up again. I don't know about the bruises though.

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Nick, D,

Since we are all different it is expected that one difference is the amount of oils that we hold in our bodies. My skin is very oily, my wife's skin is dry. I have never had problems with dry, cracked lips but she suffers with it much of the time. Maybe something like vitamin E every day would be a good idea when you are not playing. You can either take it in capsule form or rub some on your lips.

Once you know you suffer from a problem you must become involved with solving it on a daily basis.

ML

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Thanks for the tip Manny! I will try this.
    It is amazing what amount of information you can obtain from experienced trumpeters - couple of years ago I attended a Maurice Abdre trumpet clinic in Zurich and he gave us a lot advices concerning what to hame in one's trumpet bag (drugs for herpes and other mouth problems for ex).
    Thanks again!

5. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    For me playing keeps my lips in good shape. I remember a time when I had to play a gig with no warm up after a 16 hour bus trip. The result was a small cut or abrasion. This was the first day of a 14 day stand. By keeping my mind on the sound and some vitamin E, the cut actually healed within a few days.