Non-realistic expectations of Student's parent

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Sep 1, 2011.

1. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    My bugle student kid came today for his very first brass instrument lesson. He came with his binder of boy scout bugle calls that he needs to learn for his merit badge. He's also already been put on the troop books as "official bugler". Mom tells me she wants her son to start playing the calls right away. I told her they were too hard. She says, well, just pick the easiest one. They're all hard. Well, just pick the slowest one. It's not speed- it's the notes. All of the calls go up to G. He's not going to play a high G this week.

Oh well, I hope mom isn't too disappointed that her son isn't learning bugle calls yet. I got him playing middle c, g, and treble c. Oh- and the slide is stuck way out. The kid was super flat.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yeah, most people don't realize how difficult this is - they just think you blow into the instrument and music comes out the other end.

Aydn likes this.
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Does the pitch really matter with a bugle? I mean, whole orchestras of them do not play together.

I am not sure that the mother is unreasonable. She knows her child better than anyone else!

4. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    I told him to play with the piano to make sure he's getting the correct pitches. If the piano is in tune, it might make recognizing the partial difficult. Also, while at lessons I play with him (for now) and it hurts my ears. Yeah, I pulled my slides all the way out and adjusted to his pitches, but it is hard on the ears nevertheless. It's going to be awhile before he's really bugling for scouts.

The kid may be very bright and quick to pick up music (I taught him recorder a few years ago and his heart really isn't into music. His mom is very good at telling him what to do.), but he can barely get the treble c and attacks quicker than slow whole notes are going to take awhile for him to learn.

5. CaptainAddy

CaptainAddy Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2010
    Camden County, GA
    QFT, Dale, QFT.

(Quoted for truth, if you don't know ;) )

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    sounds like you're just making excuses for your inability to teach Christine .... kidding I'M KIDDING

the kid needs a Shilke 14A4A ... kidding I'M KIDDING
    I would give the Mom the bugle and have her try to play 3 notes in succession ... I am not kidding ... and let her try to blow that thing as long as possible so when she takes if off of her mouth she feels that tingle and has an Oh My Moment

Parents you 've got to love them :)

7. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    The poor kid has braces as well.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    This just keeps getting better
    Is there any chance you could get the Mom to try playing with some sand between her lips and teeth?
    I don't remember the link but someone does make a mouthpiece that is suppose to ease the pressure ... probably cost more than the bugle.
    You are a brave soul Christine

9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    There are quite a few Bugle Marching routines that will only go to an E.
    Check out Boys Brigade Bugles on You-tube.

They will be more fun than learning calls.

Here is a good link for learning Bugle Music.
    The Broadway Sound

Best of luck - a good Bugler will have a great range when he starts trumpet after 18mths on Bugle.
    Tell his Mum he needs to practice for 20 minutes every day. This is to help build his muscles... then if he does not achieve it may be due to lack of time on the bugle.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hey, this is only for a merit badge. Squeak it out with pressure and the chapter is OVER. If the kid is not really interested, just get him to bang it out. We are not saving the next Maurice André after all. The people issuing the merit badge are not demanding virtuosity!

Pressure works and after the merit badge, it is a moot point anyway. Even if the kid started to like it, moving away from pressure is no big deal. 3-4 weeks and this should be FINISHED!

My lesson suggestion:

Long tones with the mouthpiece, long tones with the horn, lipslurs, bugle calls

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011