Non-realistic expectations of Student's parent

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Sep 1, 2011.

1. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    He needs to learn the calls to pass off the merit badge. We'll see how he does after practicing for a week. Maybe he could squeek things out to get it over with.

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    There are lots of other merit badge options. Don't forget to be realistic. If it doesn't come together fairly quickly it is important to give the kid an easy way out. Having a bugle doesn't mean he is destined to play it.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    two words AUTO TUNE

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The slowest bugle call that I know is the sounding of TAPS. However, please do not allow this to be performed in public unless it is perfectly sounded. I say this as a military veteran.

It just ain't possible to get a C (piano) or Bb instrument (trumpet) to be in full sound synch with a M1892 U.S. Regulation bugle in G.

Too, the child will just not be able to play the bugle well enough to attain the merit badge unless the tuning slide is usable, thus it is critically essential that it be repaired by a competent tech before the child proceeds either with lessons or appears before the merit badge board (especially any I would sit on). Christine, lay these hard facts out to the parent NOW! Shed the parent's bluster and be done with the student otherwise, as you'd just be wastiing your time. When I attained my bugling merit badge, I didn't have a chance in a zillion to be out of tune. Our high school band director (and my trumpet tutor) sat on the board, as well as the church organist!

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    easy out .. tell the Mom she needs to take the bugle in and have the slide fixed ....

I would tell the kid that bugles and trumpets know if the musican holding the instrument wants to really learn to play ... and they don't take kindly to posers

6. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Rowuk, as an Eagle Scout of 40 years, and my troop's bugler (many years ago), I am saddened about your comments that ' it's only a merit badge, not Maurice Andre.'Teaching is teaching. If you cannot pass the requirements, then you cannot earn the merit badge, however frivolous you think it might be. Much history can be taught through bugle calls. American Civil Warr calls are much different from WW2 calls.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I believe the comments were as a fellow teacher talking to another fellow teacher in a situation that is less than optimal ...
    I get it .... and I think it was put in perspective nicely ...
    but you do have an interesting spin.. maybe the kid can be motivated by a little knowledge of the Buglers Brotherhood.... then again maybe the kid just wants to play baseball or XBOX or something

8. JSB

JSB New Friend

Oct 16, 2008
    Spring Lake, Michigan
    As a long-time Scouter and Bugling Merit Badge Counselor, I can say that Rowuk is on the mark here. The Scout does not need to be a virtuoso bugler, but he does need to play the bugle calls in a passable (not necessarily musical) manner. As merit badge counselors, we cannot change the requirements. Not every student is an "A" student, and not every Boy Scout Bugler is an "A" bugler. If you've got a Scout that learns the bugle calls, can play them and fulfills the other merit badge requirements, that is great and that Scout has earned the merit badge.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    As an Eagle Scout, and too a former Scoutmaster, and an accredited teacher, among other curricula vitae if anyone is lax in instilling the pursuit of excellence in a child and providing them with adequate means to achieve it, never complain to me about the high rate of juvenile delinquency or crime in your community because the laxity of adult mores to achieve excellence being passed towards their children is the root cause that allowed the deterioration of life for everyone in the community. My justice admin prof told me it now costs about the same to put and keep a person in jail for a year as it would to provide another a full college education in a local state college.

One of the basic premises of scouting is to instill and sustain the ideals of life in the growth of our children as well as provide a variety of interesting "adventures" along with many skills development. I learned of the sun's tranverse from East to West, Polaris the North star, and how to read a magnetic compass in scouting before I was taught about these in public schools or elsewhere. It still is a joy in my late years for me to take our telescope outside on a clear night and look at the stars and now watch the space station in its transverse across the sky. My wife will often join me in this tranquil watch.

Let no one put asunder the purposes of Scouting or my wrath will rise against them.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Yo Ed .... my wifes uncle is an Eagle Scout ... pretty much gives his life to the scouts nowdays...
    I love the Scouts
    now that's the anesthetic that precedes the surgery
    the kid's Mom said he needs to play these calls like tonight ..... scouting does not teach getting a badge is easy .... and to expect that from a kid is really not what music is about
    I feel for the teacher here .... I think that's what we are talking about ... not the value of scouting .... taking one merit badge a little lighter than world hunger is not really disrespectful
    and I have caught Vesta in my telescope in the winter time
    not everyone makes Eagle Scout .. and that's what makes it worth something Ed
    out