Non-realistic expectations of Student's parent

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Sep 1, 2011.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    It's neither laying the groundwork for future presidents nor members of Hell's Angels but I see no reason not to at least make a respectable, honest effort. And I certainly see no reason to do it in a way that is just sloppy and somewhat disrespectful to the process. Most Boy Scouts were Cub Scouts first, so I'm sure this prospective bugler would be more than familiar with the Cub Scout motto, "Do Your Best". It's an ethic that's part of the Scout culture.

Regarding learning the bugle, itself, if it were me, I would write out exercises that gradually work themselves up to G3. Using just the bugle calls are IMO too much too soon.
    To give you some ideas, or to get you started altogether, there's a US Navy Manual for Buglers that has some reasonable exercises that are gradual. Go to Manual For Buglers, US Navy and check it out. Don't be fooled by much of the text in the beginning. Scroll down to almost the middle to Chapter 5 and there are lessons there that you might be able to incorporate into your teaching.

I would probably use as many as practical but not going beyond the eleventh week lessons, and add to them some that I would write that had some rhythmic bounce to them. Maybe even getting around to using the rhythms of the bugle calls the scout will need to use on his required calls but is not yet able to play because he doesn't yet have the range under control.

Good luck. Have fun. Remember - be firm, be fair, have fun. ;-)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Just thought it might be interesting to see exactly what the requirements for earning the Bugling Merit Badge were. Here's what I found:

Requirements

1. Give a brief history of the bugle.
    2. Do the following:

A. Explain and demonstrate how the bugle makes sound, and explain how the bugle is related to other brass wind
    instruments.
    B. Compose a bugle call for your troop or patrol to signal a common group activity, such as assembling for
    mealtime or striking a campsite.
    C. Sound the following bugle calls: “First Call,” "Reveille,” “Assembly,” “Mess,” “Drill,” “Fatigue,” “Officers,” “Recall,”
    “Church,” “Swimming,” “Fire,” “Retreat,” “To the Colors,” “Call to Quarters,” and “Taps.”
    D. Explain when each of the calls in requirement 3 is used.
    E. Explain how to care for, clean, and maintain a bugle.
    F. Serve as bugler in your troop for three months.

Note: A bugle, trumpet, or cornet may be used to meet these requirements.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Sterling,
    as an Eagle Scout of 40 years I wrote what I wrote. Nothing bugged me more back then about the scouts than PARENTS earning the badges for their kids. The interesting thing was, when the KIDS wanted to, they ALWAYS found a way all by themselves. Many times I gave those friends enough lessons to get through. Several of them still play bugle today.

The title of this thread is "Non-realistic expectations of Student's parent" and that is what I address. If Christine had said, "this kid is really hot and wants to ace this", I would have commented quite differently.

I am saddened by the Scouts being misused to suit the parents agenda (more badges). The merit badge has merit when they who earn it earn it. The bugle Merit Badge is not a degree in trumpet performance and therefore does not necessarily require the same type of foundation.

My comments stand, use pressure, get through - just like many others. If a true interest develops, there is ALWAYS room for a fresh start or minor tweeking.

4. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Rowuk, I agree with you about non realistic expectations of parents. I don't like the idea of " It's only a merit badge, let it go". In my pursuit for Eagle, I tried and failed to get some merit badges. This student AND parents would receive a huge lesson about this. Like Clint Eastwood said in Dirty Harry : " A man's gotta know his limitations."

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I had my rant, and I apologize. Still, I'd not attempt to teach a child how to play a bugle unless the parent or troop could provide the child a bugle that would function well. It's futile. Today, I will not provide any used musical instrument unless it will play well, and I've been trying to do so for those who cannot afford to buy new.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    group hug {{{{}}}}}}}

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I would recommend Johann Ernst Altenburg's Essay on an introduction to the Heroic and Musical Trumpeter's and Kettledrummer's Art for the sake of a wider acceptance of the same, 1795. He describes the training (Hey, guess, what? Long tones!), and as range develops, the introduction to calls. Written when trumpeters were still in the employ of the Emperor, rather than kings (and back in the days where the trumpeter's guild would knock the teeth out of a non-member caught practicing trumpet) when trumpeters were elevated on stages and got to wear feathers in their hats, and if they got their horses shot out from under them they got a new one for free.

Our instrument, whether it be a Boy Scout bugle or whatever has a noble heritage that no other instrument can compare with.

May we all seek the merit, not the badge.

8. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Amen, Vulgano Brother. That's what life is about.