Non-Trumpet player needs product advice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by epipeinfo, Mar 17, 2011.

1. epipeinfo

epipeinfo New Friend

Aug 20, 2010
    Repiping:I am a former Horn player who has since given up brass playing completely. Years ago, I inherited my Great Uncle's trumpet when he passed away, and I have kept it for sentimental reasons. However, I now want to sell it. I have had it completely serviced, cleaned and am told that it is in extremely good shape. I would love valuation opinions from trumpet players on this forum. It is a 1979 Series 3, Benge Los Angeles, Bb, silver, ML bore, with very few flaws, from what I can see. I had it on eBay six months ago, but bidding never got above $400. The tech that serviced the trumpet feels it's worth as much as $1500. That's an awfully large spectrum!

Anyone have advice for me?

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
  3. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    If a music shop was selling the horn they might try to get $1500 for it, but I don't think they would get any takers. In the last month 5 Benge trumpets have sold on eBay that were not the Claude Gordon model. The horns sold for $550, $600, $700, $855 and $1050. At this same time a horn with a starting price of $500 did not receive a single bid--go figure. There were a couple of Claude Gordon models that sold for considerably more ($1200) but nothing sold for anywhere near $1500. A lot of people are trying to sell these horns for $1500 and more, but there just aren't any takers. Is your horn currently listed on eBay?

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is a buyers market not a sellers market as that horn exists in enough numbers and there are very fine NEW instruments starting at a grand. I think $500-$600 is what one can normally get. anything else is luck.

5. jongorrie

jongorrie Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
    Those old 1970's Benge's are very sought after though. I used to own one and (regretfully) sold it many years ago.

Is it back on eBay?

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Sell it to the tech!:lol: It's a nice horn ,but I don't recall ever seeing one like yours go for that much.