Normal Playing Range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dave Hughes, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I wanted to get a consensus here- if that's even possible- on what everyone considers normal playing range? Let's leave out Lead Range, that's another thread entirely.

What I want to know is what everyone thinks is the normal range for an accomplished amateur to professionals when it comes to concert bands, jazz bands, parade bands, etudes, exercises, etc. I think this would be good for the younger players out there to gauge what they're looking for.

I'd especially like to know from all the teachers out there what they consider it to be?

I'm saying normal range is from Low F# below the staff to High D above the staff.

What say you?

Dupac likes this.
  2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I'll go with low F# to G above high C. Remember, you said accomplished amateurs and pros. 40 years ago the word was that you needed a solid A above high C to stay busy as a working pro. And that wasn't just lead players--band leaders wanted their guys to be able to get up there even if they didn't have to.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    well, a 48 year old amateur here is pretty stable with a solid Low F# all the way up to the High F (F above high C) ---- although with 3 hour practices, dedication, and the lack of physical problems --- I think most AVERAGE people can have the High F, perhaps the high G --- and the High A is not out of reach ((uhm in my opinion, playable at decent volume, and relatively musical, at least for 8 bars or so ---- every other day))

4. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    The written range (or as some call it, the "cash register") is from low F sharp to high C, but of course, plenty of players can go way above high C--some can even go to triple C or above.

5. chierholzer

chierholzer New Friend

May 31, 2012
    Chicago
    Outside of Big Bands I have never had to play higher than an E above the staff.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I'm confused now ---- IS it WHAT WE CAN DO, or WHAT we are called to do in our music? ----- in which case, the A below the high C is the highest I have seen in community band (3rd chair).

7. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Dead on to what I was going to say!

8. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    It looks like there's going to be a variety of answers, which will likely make this an interesting thread.

I think it depends on how we interpret Dave's question about "normal range", along with his qualifications about "young players" and leaving out the "lead range".

I'm also assuming it's not the highest note we should be able to hit, but the highest note we can play.

I think for young players, an F# below the staff to an A above the staff is a normal range. I think for more developed players, maybe extend the range to a C or D above the staff.

I don't know if these ranges are "normal". But I think they are practical ranges that are reasonably attained.

IMHO, of course.

Mike

9. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I was thinking what is really called for in most situations- outside of lead playing.

BTW: King Trumpet, a "double" high G for 32 counts? Or did you mean 'counts,' not 'bars?'

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  10. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    For playing the written music for normal works in "concert bands, jazz bands, parade bands, etudes, exercises" I agree with you.
    Lead work, solos and certain screaming tunes, no - I think the High A above High C is minimum required if you are a working pro.

I have an excellent teacher, who has helped and guided me, and mentored me through my comeback. He is a full-time muso, plays and teaches for a living - no other jobs. He is employed in the school system for the 9-5 work, and gigs outside these times. Plays in numerous bands. He has played brass band, jazz, you name it.

Plonk the music in front of him, and he is 100% reliable. For long gigs playing complicated pieces he jumps to a soprano Eb - transposes on the run, and does not miss a beat - He told me last time we had a lesson that he has not played a High G in his life. It surprised me as I could have sworn I had heard him play it a few times. His range is a High E on demand. Normal working range to a High D. So Dave, I agree with you..