Normal Playing Range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dave Hughes, Sep 26, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think there are charts (classical and contemporary) that will have you go to the high D above the staff. So I agree with Dave Hughes. By the way, there was a rare add to try out for the Band of Flight for I believe the 3rd part, and they recommended the same high end range I do believe. But remember, its just not playing it, its about owning it.

2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I say for classical, generally from low G to D above high C.
    For jazz? Generally I'd say shift up a second -- A to E above high C

But you have the exception for classical (like the Haydn that reaches Eb, or some things on pic)

So I guess I'm gonna go with G below to E above

3. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    I think it really depends on the kind of band you're in, and the type of music you play.
    My local community band first part doesn't go above D above high C, ever. At least not in the past 10 years that I've been there.
    Our local carnaval-band generally doesn't go above A below high C, though occasionally some higher notes are written.
    My Egerland-ish band goes up to E above high C occasionally, but it depends more on the author of the piece (mostly it's Vlado Kumpans pieces that go that high)
    My showband doesn't really have an upper limit. For the first chairs, written G above high C are common and C above high C is pretty much the highest note written, though the 2nd-4th parts won't go above E above high C

4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Useful, interesting thread, Dave. Thank you for starting it. I agree with you concerning normal practical range, too.
    Jim

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I got called to sit in with a swing band Monday to cover the 4th book. Highest I went was A above the staff. The 1st book went up to high G. My problem was overshooting notes. The charts we play at church are above the staff a lot and I've gotten very comfortable up there. I kept playing 5th line F when I was aiming for 4th line D. It "worked" but the bottom of the chord was gone. :-(

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    In the public school programs such is essentially the Conn-Selmer fingering chart for a Bb trumpet from low F# to high C, and I'll still say that 90% plus of the world's music for a trumpeter falls within that range.

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    My thoughts exactly.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    uhm, I mean an actual 8 bars (32 counts) -- like the first line to "Somewhere Over the Rainbow", which tops out at the high A -----------then again, I should say up to last summer when I was able to do that -- ON GOOD PLAY DAYS, it was often NOT repeatable EVERY DAY for me, but at least it was there every 4 days. SO, YES -- it is possible.

(or as GM said there is a difference from people who could play it -- and those who own it) -- meaning everyday, a High A --- then again GM has the only surviving crappy CD of "somewhere over the rainbow" -- at least 1 line ---- and before a few minor injuries this past year, OK --maybe the High F is all I can muster at the moment -- maybe that is all I will ever be able to play on a regular basis ---- such is life

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  9. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    Normal range is what the written part requires.

What's required for a concert band part 3 is different than what may be required for an orchestra part 1 or a jazz band part 2.

In the end, it doesn't really matter. If you can play the part, you're home free. If you can't play the part, practice until you can.

If you're looking for a "normal distribution," take all the notes in all the pieces ever written and I'm guessing you'll find that that "normal" range is pretty small (somewhere between middle "D" and E above third space C).

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    OMG there must be some rule broken here on TM where someone is requiring us musicians to use their left brain... "normal distribution"... REALLY? +/- 1.96 x Square Root of the Sum of Distributions of all notes... Really???....

I would bet that that 5% tail on the high end is rarely called for... the same as asking us here on TM to do the math:dontknow: