"Normal" range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I'm a comeback player of sorts (used to play sax 20+ years, now play trumpet for the last 9 months) and I'm trying to gauge my progress, maybe as a way for me to know when I might be ready to audition for a local community orchestra. So my question is, what ranges would be considered roughly normal for the various grade levels. Like an 8th grader who's been playing 3 years should be able to play X comfortably. Same for Senior in high school, senior in college, etc. I realize there are some standard measures too that apply to any instrument (knowledge of scales, musicality, etc.) but I'm really thinking of the things specific to trumpet, like range, tonguing, etc.

TIA!

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Satchmo,
    Your question is:
    "What ranges would be considered roughly normal for the various grade levels."
    --
    Of course there are variances but, most trumpet players from 4th grade to around 8th grade stay within middle C (and a little below) to G or A above the staff (maybe high C).
    Your matriculation should be fast since you are already a musician and a certain amount of homiphally (sp) exists.
    Hope this helps

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's really hard to set in stone because it depends on the player and their dedication to practice. Also, if you have a good teacher, a lot of mistakes can be caught that will decrease range despite hours of practicing using bad habits. I know Bob Grier offers online lessons so that might be a way to go to monitor your progress.

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Being a 'comebacker' myself after about a 46 year hiatus I found that range was not a problem when I first went back to a community concert band. My problem was with rapid sight reading the second or third book music. I seriously doubt that most community bands and orchestras offer first book to most newbies to their organisations. First book is higher in the scale, but, usually simpler to play because it is the melodic part. The descant and harmonic parts are for most, very difficult to mentally hear the required part. Don't worry so much about the high range. Concentrate on accurately reading the chart and feeling the time signature. Counting rests is another major requirement. In the six years that I have been back to the horn, at age 74+, I now play in three concert bands, including one 75 member college concert band that is about evenly split between college students and old folks from the regional community concert bands. I am having an absolute blast with the college kids. MOst of them are music majors and fine musicians.

OLDLOU>>

5. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    My situation is not that different from yours, being a former lead alto player in a big band, plus playing in a few rock & roll bands.

Last June a trumpet was purchased and lessons were taken and progress was rapid for the first few months. Range went up to Eb above high C.
    Now my concentration is on musicality, reading and technique. Finding a good teacher will help. Keith Fiala is a very good one if you are looking.

Best of luck to you from a former sax player!

6. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    True, true, true!!! I made my comeback in October of 2009 and my range is pedal F# to F# below AA (above high C) but my sight reading skills stink, and the community band takes up music after each practice, leaving me in a position to sight read each time I play. Focus on reading music, counting rests and syncopation. Range will come in time, plus harmony (2nd, 3rd and 4th parts) don't require high range but a clean, solid sound in the lower registers. Most importantly, have fun!

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That is an excellent point about the 2nd and 3rd parts.

8. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    When you say "community orchestra," are you referring to an actual symphony or chamber orchestra, or to some sort of wind ensemble like a community band? This makes a big difference.

9. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Am I reading this right? You've been playing since June 2010 and you're hitting Eb above high C? I'd almost say something's not right. That's like somebody saying, "I started dieting last week and already lost 25 pounds".

10. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Yes, you read it right. And my former teacher (Keith Fiala) is my witness! The range came very easy and Keith had a lot of input into what I was doing. And it's a bit hard to believe!

I should make this clear - my playing range was up to B, sometimes C. But my "hittable" range was up to Eb.

I discovered my playing (airstream) is downstream in nature. And by blowing like this, and then giving a push with more air (like stepping on the gas pedal), the upper range was a bit easier to hit. My thanks to Keith for his patience in working with me.

Now my focus is not on range, but on simply playing in a lyrical and musical style. I have so much to learn!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010