"Normal" range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    td sez:
    Last June a trumpet was purchased and lessons were taken and progress was rapid for the first few months. Range went up to Eb above high C.
    Now my concentration is on musicality, reading and technique. Finding a good teacher will help.
    --
    Way to go!! Keep up the great work!

2. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Thanks for the encouragement! Seems like a bit of a plateau has been hit for the time being. But I keep practicing with the hope of someday getting better.

This is 100 X more difficult than playing a saxophone.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You'd think so, but like with anything else, there's always a curve in learning a new instrument where it takes time to where you sound comfortable, or at least that's been my experience. When I first started playing drums, I jumped right into the deep end, playing with a praise band. I knew the basics of how to play drums - I knew some solid beats, basic fills and knew where the '1' was, but listening to recordings of myself playing with the praise bands, it was several years before I started to sound like a real drummer and not some amateur hack flailing with sticks behind a drum kit. Even though musical concepts were not foreign to me, it still took a while before it sounded musical.

4. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    It can be done, and I have done it. Soon after starting my comeback, I plateaued at Eb for a long time, then had that breakthrough practice where I began my climb in range again and tonight I was able to play a full, controlled, sustained G below AA (On an Olds Ambassador!). Could I perform in this range? Not yet, by longshot, I still have a great deal of intelligent practice ahead, but some of us have not had the handicap of being told it can't be done. I have not had the opportunity to play for Keith Fiala, but I do have a very accomplished teacher instructing me who took lessons from Clark Terry (For $100.00 an hour!) in the 1960s while in college. Also, I subscribe to and read Keith's weekly tips. It takes hard work, and I am dedicated to it.

As Henry Ford stated, "Those who say I can and those who say I can't are both right."

5. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Let's not get carried away with the albeit impressive gains in range by some of our fellow members. If the OP wants to join a community band as a member of the third cornets/trumpets, the sheer range requirements won't go much above a G on top of the staff. Try to get hold of some third cornet parts to Sousa marches, and play along with a recording. When you can do that, you're more than ready to audition for a community band, even if you can't play high C.

6. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Good point, John! :thumbsup:

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    TD sez:
    This is 100 X more difficult than playing a saxophone.
    ---------
    I can't argue with that.
    With a sax, the reed vibrates.
    With brass, we vibrate. That's why we're called lip reed musicians.
    To my knowledge, the human voice (vocal chords) is the only mechanism that's comparable.

8. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Very true. Now if I can only convince my wife that practicing trumpet counts as exercise! Maybe she wouldn't bug me so much about the rest of my couch potato lifestyle :D

So much good advice here too. Do high school kids really hit above high C? I've been to many of the concerts from local jazz bands and none of them seem to ever get there.

9. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    The lead trumpet in my high school jazz band could easily hit F's and G's above HC. This was during his senior year.
    Another lead player (different high school) at this same time could EASILY hit double A's. This student took up the trumpet on his doctor's recommendation in order to help his asthma.

Both of the above bands took many awards in the state of Iowa at various Jazz Band Competitions.

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    satchmo asks:
    Do high school kids really hit above high C?
    ---
    I was playing Maynard's solos/parts on songs like Give It One, Stoney End, and Hey Jude when I was 16 with the high school band back in the 1970's.
    During that time all I wanted to be was Maynard Ferguson.
    Now, all I want to be the best me possible. Anything else is imitation.
    With that said, high note players in high school are not uncommon.