Nose breather or mouth breather?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sounds7, Apr 14, 2013.

1. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    I recently read a book called The Hindu Yogi Science of breath by Yogi Ramacharaka which was the book highly endorsed by Maynard and other members of his trumpet section. One chapter covers how incorrect and harmful mouth breathing is for the body, Shallow breathing is also harmful. To summarize, the full recommended breath is taken in through the nostrils and utilizes the full capacity of the lungs starting with lower diaphragm and up to mid and upper chest. My problem doing this however is many times I have only a second to breath and then play and I cant get the air through my nostrils fast enough to be of any use. Any one else trying this type of nose breathing while playing and if so how are you getting the full breath in when you a have short amount of time to breath?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    We are brought into this world as nose breathers (all infants are nose breathers - to keep the mouth available for more important tasks such as sucking). Then craziness takes over and we start breathing with our mouths which really sucks. AND then you live in the Miami Valley where allergies reign supreme and you have only two choices, breath through your mouth or die.

Bottom line... if the Great Designer intended us to come into this world as nose breathers, than that is how we should live the rest of a clean productive life, only instead of sucking for nourishment as trumpet players we blow to be nourished.

3. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    I breath in through the sides of my mouth when playing the trumpet.

4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Nose for breathing normally, but mouth when playing.

5. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans

Miami valley doesn't have anything on New Orleans as far as allergies. I have never suffered like I do now, I even had surgery for a deviated septum so I could breath through the nose better. Still, I can only get so much in there and I need air at my disposal pretty quickly on many of my gigs.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    With enough time to reset, through the mouth. Without, through the nose. A down and dirty Vulgano Zen trick: Place an empty toilet paper roll in your mouth and breathe in through your mouth, or cover the end and breather through your nose (this is the dirty part). Usually, the first thing we notice is that the air comes in with much less resistance (this is the Zen part). This is because the base of the tongue is lowered (the down part.) Some tuba players will stick out their tongues while breathing for this effect (just plain gross).

Memorize the feeling and reproduce at will.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What if you don't know anyone named Will?:dontknow:

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I use the mouth to grab a breath on trumpet. I have tried both, but not enough air through the nose when blowing hard,

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I was a happy noise breather when I started but was "corrected" a few months after I started by my senior band mate who was giving me lessons. I was pretty obedient and unquestioning then (don't talk to me about being told to put more tension into my lips) and years later found it hard to play any other way.

But...
    For health I think nose breathing is better for you, and I wonder even when blowing hard do you really use more air than the nose can draw in? (Real physical problems aside).
    I now do a bit of a combination but still don't use my nose as much as I should.

--bumblebee

10. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    If you can get enough air in the small time of a breath mark (,) then go for it. I say its pretty impossible unless you are playing along with a singer who takes long pauses between phrases. The health questions in reguards to the two methods are negligible when it comes to trumpet playing, I mean, come on, trumpet players are playing only a small percentage of the total number of breaths needed in a day that it is a rediculous notion that it makes a difference.

Good rule of thumb...mouth breather when playing, nose breather when counting out rests and all other times, including kissing. Leave the bulk of mouth breathing to the percussion players. Best wishes.