Nose breather or mouth breather?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sounds7, Apr 14, 2013.

1. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    I have always been taught to breathe from the corners of my mouth, and not through the nose.

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    As I posted - so was I at first, but years later two respected players/teachers have told me otherwise (without actually ruling out "what works for me").

--bumblebee

Bear in mind folks that any breathing advice from Australia must be tempered by the fact that we must breathe here through our noses or through clenched teeth due to the number of flies about.

3. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    In a perfect world we would breath thru our noses. In the real world we breath thru both, depending upon the person and the situation. Living in Houston I have a permanent sinus issue, with some days worse than others, so my breathing varies. I do use what was called a 3-step process when I learned it, but it seems this is frowned upon by the current school of thought. Works for me, so I doubt I will change.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The Hindu Yogi Science of Breath by Yogi Ramacharaka is highly touted by Bobby Shew. Bobby Shew can play, and am not aware it is out of fashion.