Not another 'expanding your range' thread!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ALWilts, Jul 2, 2015.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I second the hymn book advice. Baptist. Methodist, Presbyterian, it doesn't matter. I don't usually transpose. It also helps with timing as there are some different and interesting meters in there!

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Of these three protestant denominations, many of the songs in their hymnals are the same although their titles are changed. Quite often the lyrics are different also.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I disagree, if you are transposing from concert key of C (voice/ piano music) for a Bb instrument, you'd be adding two sharps, thus transposing to the key of D with the notated C then sharped vis (C#) you wouldn't have any C note then unless it were neutralized. Still, the notes you see are positioned in the concert key of C which if the key signature of the concert keyed music were in the key of Bb with two flats would you be playing your Bb trumpet C with open valves. While it can be done as a Bb trumpet solo, what the result would be would not blend with the full orchestra and is also not responsive on a chromatic tuner.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ed,

I don't understand your post. More than 75% of what I play (over 100 concerts a year) is transposed to C, D, Eb, E, F and often Bb when I play C trumpet. The difference between Bb and C is a whole step regardless of how one visualizes it. A hymn in C major means that we play D major on a Bb trumpet, just like I posted. A hymn in concert F means that we play a Bb horn in G. (actually this is not how I personally play orchestra parts, but it is how I teach).

The thread owner mentioned transposing real book stuff, so they are well on their way!

As far as blending goes, there is various heritage. The traditional german and british orchestras use Bb trumpets extensively with no "blending problems". I often prefer the more golden sound of the Bb compared to the C in the orchestra.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Range isn't expanded in weeks - that's just not how it works. It takes months and years to develop your chops, and there often are no tips or tricks that are going to help you - you just need to pay your dues working the fundamentals in the woodshed.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    A little more patience?!

Do you not think it unreasonable for me, weighing in at 170 lbs to bench press 500 lbs in just 2 weeks? Muscle is muscle is muscle. It takes more than patience... it takes dedicated practice and scheduled workouts to meet your goals. Personally, my weight training goal is to curl an 8 once bottle of beer up to the level of my lips! Welcome to TM where our motto is, it is more practical to be practical. That too takes practice.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I like the Heimat tone concept of Gerald Webster.

Gerald Webster discovered that when we play a medium high, medium low, medium loud tone on our mouthpiece first thing in the day, the same pitch will come out, our personal "home" tone, or Heimat tone (he discovered this while touring with Edward Tarr in Germany, thus the name). "Personal" means just that, each person has his/her own Heimat tone -- there is no "good," "bad" or "ideal." Just play your first tone of the day on your mouthpiece for a few days, check your pitch with a piano or your trumpet over the course of a few days, and you've got your own personal Heimat tone. (my Heimat tone is Eb at the top of the staff on Bb trumpet.)

Lets say your Heimat tone is C in the staff. Play a strong C, then up a half step to C#, go down to B, up to C, down to Bb, etc. Three strikes and out for your highest note. If your range tops out at one note and anything above is just air, you are using too much pressure. Take your time to build range--if you add even just a half tone per month you'll gain at least an octave over a year!

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Ed,

I know you know how to transpose, and I have ready hundreds of your posts, and you have been correct - but this one you have wrong - maybe a late night. Have a coffee, and re-read. It is -add 2 sharps, and 1 whole step. 2 x 1/2 steps C = {C +1/2 =C# +1/2 =} D

Rowuk has it right. Maybe a short circuit. But I know you know.

9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi ALWilts,
    All good advice, Keep with the long tones, lip slurs and daily routine. You need to build the chops back up.
    I expect you will have the same problem with the G above the Stave in about 2 weeks.

Can I also maybe add Scales and Arpeggios to the mix. You need to build confidence on those intervals.

Maybe you have forgotten how long it took you to build your chops when you first started - (and started back).

10. dcpritchett

dcpritchett Pianissimo User

Jan 20, 2015
    Central FL
    Ed, If the concert key is a flat you must play one step higher, hence b flat and you subtracted 2 flats. I took theory and didn't sit in the back so am reasonably sure I am right, at least it works for me.