Not another 'expanding your range' thread!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ALWilts, Jul 2, 2015.

1. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Regarding blending of different pitched instruments, here is a perfect example of 3 top call LA musicians with 3 different pitched instruments and I'm certain they had no pitch or blending problems.
    http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=JN.2Qo98Sqk+94mhM/n/kJolg&w=311&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0
    I'm not sure who is playing the C, but we have Malcolm McNab with his usual Eb and Rob Frear on a Bb. There are times when chromatic tuners are absolutely pointless. Top musicians like these three superb players make easy adjustments and I would be willing to bet at least two of them are transposing their part.
    Rich T.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I was a little disappointed, well really a lot, that the link wasn't a video! :D The chromatic tuner point is spot on. I've observed players in tune with the tuner, but not the section/band!

3. ALWilts

ALWilts New Friend

Jun 26, 2015
    England
    This seems like a really interesting concept, and certainly one that I'll take time to look into! I won't be able to get my trumpet til later but I'm really interested to see where my Heimat tone currently lies!

Thanks Peter, it's that reality check that I have to keep reminding myself of, and one that I expect most comeback players struggle with. I know it takes time, I know that I won't be playing Miles style solos in a week, but it makes you want to use your time as efficiently as possible!

On a side note, I put together a piece over the weekend, going up to a C in the stave. I had no problem playing it for hours to record it, which I know when I first picked up the horn again I would have had no chance doing. So, fellow comebackers, it's not all doom and gloom! It's practice, technique, rinse and repeat. :)

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    When the Eb & Bb trumpeters accurately transpose to the concert key of C, it's obvious they will blend with both the C trumpeter and register in the concert key on the chromatic tuner, the latter as only registers in the concert key or the pitch of a C instrument. If instruments pitched in keys other than the concert key don't have music pre-transposed for their instrument they will not blend with the entire orchestra.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you don't get a transposed part, you either transpose in your head or pay your dues and write it out yourself. Playing wrong notes by bad or no transposition is not a blend issue, it is an insult to the musicians around you that give a crap.