Not bad for a 9yo kid.....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hornguy, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Man that is slick. Start 'em early, 2-3 years is like a lifetime to a little kid.

2. hornguy

hornguy New Friend

Dec 30, 2006
    Apparently, he's about 16yo now.

Here's his website.

Ruben Simeo - Página de Introducción de Flash

Here's a quote about him:

“I have worked with many trumpeters around the World however, about a year ago I found a young 14 year old Spaniard
    that possesses all the qualities to become the best trumpet player in the World!
    I made an exception and have accepted him as my student, preparing him to be my successorâ€.
    Maurice Andre , Soloist May 6 , 2007

-

I guess you can't add much more to that.

3. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    Wow is all I can say.

4. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    You know, I was feeling pretty good today before I saw that.....There's a 12 yr old kid in Virginia Beach that's the same deal, only he's a jazzer - plays Giant Steps better than I do, and has more gigs around here than I do, too! His dad is a Navy trumpeter - can't remember his name, though....

5. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Well, being a little kid is always going to get you more of an audience. Street musicians know this and the more exploitive ones will have their kids out there, tooting or twanging or fiddling away. As we enter economic Depression it's hard to fault anyone if their kid's playing is paying the rent.

Maybe the kid practices more than you do?

6. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    John Williams' father started him on guitar when he was 4. He never practiced by himself until he was in his teens, I think it was. And he only practiced 30 min a day. Most people spend most of their time practicing incorrectly, seems like, and then dealing with the problems they've taught themselves so thoroughly. But unless your father is a talented teacher willing to monitor every aspect of your practicing, how else do you do it? (Didn't Harry James' father do something similar?)

7. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Harry James' parents were circus performers and his dad had him playing trumpet early on, all classical repertiore too. Imagine a little kid playing "Carnival Of Venice" and commanding a circus orchestra at age 10 or so.

I saw somewhere the amount of hours it takes to become a virtuoso, I'll have to try to find it again. This was violin virtuosos, and I don't think there are any shortcuts there - amazing for an instrument that's damned easy to play, really. Anyway the conclusion was it takes something like 10,000 hours total, and if there's one thing most little kids have it's time. So, it's easy to assume you have to start very young to get very good. I'll try to dig up the reference for that figure.

I went from well, "zero to hero" in something, I know, I keep beating around the bush here, but I'll have to calculate my hours, they weren't any 10,000, but with a couple of years of hard work, I was considered by one measure the best in the country. In a couple more years I was making 'em nervous internationally. I should calculate my total hours because I was still heading up when I left that activity.

When I started out, 1/2-hour if that was enough. I was dogged and mainly, bored, so I practiced daily, 6 or 7 days a week. The time became an hour, then a bit over an hour..... it was a matter not just of training muscles but also, like doing math homework, the brain tires out too. When the brain's tired you're done the next day - come back and do more tomorrow. Gradually, I got to the point of training 5 hours a day, 6 days a week. And competitions. Increase in skill was very small, very incremental at that point. It took those hours of training to keep up with the competition, those Chinese and Bulgarians and all that, who were training at least that much. The point is, I took this up at about age 30. That's how old I was when I very first started. I was on unemployment for a year, got into this and found out I was good, started getting noticed, it was just little stair-steps all the way up. That's how it is for these kids I'm sure, except I was doing it at age 30 and older. I was able to be a "professional amateur" for a few years. What I did was really cool. I mean, well, to be that good at something, that's pretty cool. But I'd trade it all now for time on the trumpet/cornet.

Now I find myself out of work, economy's in the dumper, and a large amount of Damitol flowing in my veins which will take years to disperse, if it does lol. I also have free time, "3 hots and a cot", get to listen to roosters in the AM and they get to listen to me. I can't start in practicing for 6 hours a day, I'll blow myself up or something. But I can do a bit each day.... little stair steps... I don't by any means think I'd be able to make a living doing this either, that'd be crazy. I just want to do it. If I can play well enough eventually to get good tips "busking" I'll feel like Iv'e arrived lol.

So I know why this thread is here. We're all jealous of that kid. All he has to do is play all day, no car payments, gets cooed over by Maurice Andre, yeah, that'd be sweet.

8. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Sorry Eeviac, but violin is not easy to play. I have been dinking around on the violin for 4-5 years and I'm still terrible. :) It may be easy to get a sound (so is piano) but it's damned hard to get a GOOD sound.

Anyway...

9. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    Doesn't that sound like Andre is calling himself the greatest trumpet player in the world?
    "He will succeed me as the greatest."
    Isn't an artist supposed to let the audience make that decision on who is the best?