Not bad for a 9yo kid.....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hornguy, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

I agree on getting a GOOD sound out of the violin, the vibrato and richness. It takes practice, practice practice to move from string to string smoothly, to get a rich tone and vibrato, and my teacher didn't want me even trying vibrato since I was only playing a couple of months. But picking out stuff by ear is easy, the sucker's got a lot of range (that tuning by 5ths thing is cool) and you can go from really really quiet to really pretty loud on it. All in all it's a lot of capabilities out of a little wooden box, and it felt natural to me from the get go. I wish I'd have bought the violin and just gotten my lessons off of the net, because while having a teacher was cool, the stuff I learned was basically the stuff that's in the videos done by Yehudi Menuhin in the 60s, for British TV, and they are out there still. If I'd taken that route I'd still have the fiddle now and be making some money. Oh well, the trumpet is very cool.

2. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    What, aren't the Chinese making fiddles?

3. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    :-o

4. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  5. flugel4

flugel4 New Friend

Aug 22, 2007
    Hi posting first message, I am from New Zealand, and play in a big band :-)

6. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Jude out here a chinese fiddle is $500. But an old one made in Ohio and that looks pretty good (someone put modern microtuners on and a new chin rest) is $100. If that, maybe $75.

The economy here is so far into the future, it's already "hip" with the coming catastrophic plunge of the dollar!

So, this Ohio fiddle, yeah, I'm thinking about it just for fun. It comes with two bows, and is in pretty decent shape. It's in a pawn shop and it's not going anywhere since no one has any money.

But after watching that movie of Haken Hardenberger, it's sure hard to think of anything else but the trumpet, it really is the coolest.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    20 years ago Maurice André was heralded universally as the finest trumpet player in the world (except by very few (myself included) that objected to everything he played sounding like André - disregarding accepted classical performance practice). Even if we come up with a shortlist of other qualified players, no other trumpet player has influenced following generations as much as MA did. He had the right talent at the right place at the right time. He also has a long list of successful students, to place this young man at the top is a very big complement!

There is a lot more to being the finest than playing ability, and MAs shoes are pretty hard to fill!

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    sorry!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  9. jazzmaster5500

jazzmaster5500 New Friend

Apr 28, 2007
    that kid is way nasty good

10. trumpetgeek01

trumpetgeek01 New Friend