Not curling the bottom lip to play high notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Markie, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hey Rowuk,
    I noticed you are on line and wanted to say thanks for the advice on not curling back the bottom lip to play in the stratosphere. I've incorperated your advice into my daily routine and it works. It still doesn't sing yet but I can see its gonna work.
    Let me say thank you by telling you about a couple of books that I think you and your student's will like. The books are Disney Play alongs by Hal Leonard and the things I like about them are:
    a) Just about all my students know the Disney songs and I tell them to make their trumpet sing with the sensitivity and passion the person that sang them did.
    b)Many songs have simple but beautiful long tones and phrases that require the student to pay closer attention to their breathing(otherwise they run out of air!!).
    c)Its fun

Once again, thanks for the advice
    Markie

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Markie,

I call it M-bouchure. That is the only visualization that I ever talk about. The rest happens when we start playing "enough" slurs.

I use a series of 3 books called "Trompeten Fuchs" by Stefan D√ľnser. They focus on technique before range and have tons of easy tunes. I have a slight allergy with merchandising, but I guess if Donald Duck advocates soft, long tones, it is good enough.