Not Cut Out for Trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by CalebWayne, Feb 24, 2011.

1. CalebWayne

CalebWayne Pianissimo User

Mar 19, 2010
    So, my audition for college was last Thursday. It went fairly well, I suppose. I wasn't satisfied with it, but it is what it is. The only negative they had was the trumpet professor who said he was worried about my embochure. He says that the rare problem of more "red" appearing around the mouthpiece when I play worried him. I've had this problem for a while because I do have rather large lips for a trumpet player. Is there any way to fix it? Or is my mouth just not cut out for playing the trumpet?

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I am 100% sure I will be flogged for saying this, but, your mouthpiece could be too small for your facial structure. The professor could also just prefer a particular embouchure you don't use. I've known players that went off to school and the prof makes them change the embouchure to the "correct" one and they are totally screwed up for awhile, some even quit playing altogether.
    Back to your lips, there is no "size" for trumpet players. You obviously have the skills to audition and they didn't run you out of the place so... . John Stork is a world class custom mpc maker and addresses this lip size issue on his website. I am not saying this is your problem. It is hard to see your lips over a forum ;-). Heres a link to his site.
    This is the library link:
    New Page 1
    This is the article on lips:
    New Page 1
    Hope this info is of some use to you. I wouldn't make a change without a second opinion.:thumbsup:

3. mineo50

mineo50 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2011
    Barstow, CA
    +1
    There are plently of pro horn players with "large" lips. they are all making money playing their axes. My lips are very thin and it only took me 15 years to find the right mouthpiece for my facial structure:-) - coutesy of a very good instructor who actually played as a pro.
    Best of wishes to you. Don't talk yourself out of playing the trumpet.

4. CalebWayne

Mar 19, 2010
    Well, immediately following the audition, they asked me if I was willing to stay for the rest of the afternoon and play with the Wind Ensemble (which I did) and then asked me if I would be willing to stay the next day to play with the Symphonic Band (which I did). My girlfriend is a French horn playing music major at the university (and before the pitchforks and torches come out, rest assured I'm not converting), so I didn't mind staying. And I have gone on the dreaded "mouthpiece safari" recently. Quick question- for thicker lips, what should I be looking for in a mouthpiece? Wider? Deeper cup? Thinner/thicker rim?

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Here's another link from John's site. Froydis is a pretty good player.;-)

Stork Custom Mouthpieces

It's a list of a lot of "Nevers". Enjoy!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Nutshell answer: Wider cup diameter for larger lips.. Deep affects the tone. The rim affects attack/endurance. Obviously they like you so be cautious in how and what types of changes you make. Be sure to educate yourself as much as possible to avoid be tossed to and fro. Then all you need is a good dose of patience to see the changes through. :thumbsup:

7. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    This may come as a shock to you, but the fact is that many if not most of the professors you will have in college are idiots when it comes to their personal opinions. Learn as much factual information as you can, but when it comes to opinion be very skeptical.

8. CalebWayne

Mar 19, 2010
    Well, for all intents and purposes, it's largly his opinion that decides whether or not I get in. I like the Stork site, but is there any way (other than going to his shop) that I could try out some of his mouthpieces? I'm very interested.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Call John directly and see what he can do for you. He might send you a bunch to try to see what works best for you.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Also, if an embouchure change is a prerequisite for entrance, I may look elsewhere if possible.