Not Fun, Cold sores......

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by A.N.A. Mendez, Oct 28, 2005.

1. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    What do we do about this? really screws up a practice schedule. Abriva works good but since I'm new to this distraction(past 2 years only) I was wondering if anyone else had any words of wisdom??

2. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    Are they on your lips or gums? If they are on your gums (or inside of your mouth), rinse with salt water as hot as you can stand. When they pop up for me every now and then, I do this at night before I go to bed, the next morning, and again that night. Usually the morning after, they are practically gone, and don't hurt anymore. Easy solution.

I used to get these often, but hardly at all anymore. I wonder if it's a diet thing, or something in the water, or what that causes these. Strange.

Louie

3. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    right on the lower lip, puts me out for at least a week.

4. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    I get them quite badly occassionaly as well. Usually when I am run down/stressed etc. I use Zovirax, and keep playing, but spend longer warming up gently, and it seems to keep me tied over until it goes away.

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I say don't play on one at all. Stay away from acidic food and drink and take lots of L-Lysine. (it is safe to take this with Zovirax). Abreva works fairly well also.

6. Kenzo

Kenzo Pianissimo User

Nov 18, 2003
    Bristol, Connecticut
    I used to get cold sores fairly frequently as a kid, less so as I aged. Still, the periodic cold sore can create a tough time for one who pays the mortgage playing the trumpet. So I asked my doctor about some options. Here is what has worked for me.

1. I take L-Lysine daily.
    2. Exercise regularly. Stress is a trigger.
    3. Use a sunblock-ALWAYS on my lips.
    4. When I feel a "hot spot" I have a prescription for FAMVIR (pills) which works great when taken within the forst few hours of the "hot spot."
    5. I have a prescription for DENAVIR (ointment) which I use with the FAMVIR.
    6. I ice the "hot spot" in the first hours.

This has worked for ME. I would suggest speaking to a physician about treatment and prevention options. I wish I had done so several years earlier.

Best of Luck.

Kenny

7. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Thanks for the input.javascript:emoticon(':dontknow:')

8. Umyoguy

Umyoguy New Friend

Feb 1, 2005
    Kalamazoo
    You're mistaking two common mouth ulcerations with each other, herpes (cold sores), and apthous ulcers. What you describe sounds like apthous ulcers, in which case a salt rinse would be helpful as a cleansing solution. It has no effect on cold sores.

Herpes (common cold sores) appear on the lips, but almost never inside the mouth. Expression varies from individual to individual, but cold sores generally last 3-7 days, maybe longer. It is caused by the Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV), type 1. It is a recurrant virus, and is incurable. When not active, it lies dormant in nerve cells. Once you get it, it's got. The gift that keeps on giving. The only medications clinically proven to reduce the number and severity of outbreaks are the antiviral medications acyclovir (commercially known as Zorivax), famciclovir (Famvir) and Valacyclovir (Valtrex). Topical OTC ointments merely treat symptoms, but do nothing to expidite the sore's resolution. Sores are extremely contagious when present, so be careful about kissing others. Even though it's estimated that 80% of the US population has been exposed to the virus, it's still not a nice thing to pass on.

Apthous ulcers are less studied, and therefore are not quite as well known. They express as white/yellow ulcers on the mucous membrane surfaces of the inner mouth and throat. They're thought to be possibly caused by stress, different reactions to certain chemicals in foods and toothpastes, and there is even a link between beta-blockers and AU. Some studies suggest that it's caused by a virus. Standard hygiene practices like rinsing with salt water or 3% aqueous hydrogen peroxide solutions are good remedies. I've had these before and they're quite painful...

FYI,

Jon

9. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Again, thanks

10. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    I used to get cold sores [on my lip] 8 or 9 times a year and when I mentioned to a Dr. he gave me a prescr. for zovorix[sp] and I would take a pill as soon as I felt the dreaded tingle on my lip, the cold sore never appeared. A few years later another Dr. prescr. valtrix and I would do the same thing as soon as I felt the tingle and the sore never appeared. I have not had a cold sore for at least 3 years now. The only down side was the look the girl behind the counter at the drug store would give me when I got my prescr. filled. old geezer Dave