Not Playing for long periods of time....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JonathanShaw, Aug 1, 2006.

1. JonathanShaw

JonathanShaw Pianissimo User

Jun 29, 2006
    So I hate to say it but I went on a trip for a month, and didn't bring my trumpet. I picked it up as soon as I got home and felt like crap. In retrospect I guess I should have brought my mouthpiece, but: any tips on getting back to normal/similar stories and how you got better....?

2. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    I do a lot of lip slurs and arpeggios to get my chops back in shape and to get my air moving the way it needs to. I really like the Irons and Schlossberg books for that. The first study in Clarke's technical studies book is also a really good, low-impact exercise that gets the air, chops, and fingers working. I just got back from a week in Indiana with no playing, I feel your pain :oops:

How was Canada, by the way?

3. Dave

Dave Guest

I keep a mouthpiece in my car so I can buzz a lot after having time off. I find that I just have to rebuild muscles, so any buzzing i can do helps.

4. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

Sing and play some simple songs on your mouthpiece and then sing and play some of the simple songs from the back of the Arban's book or similar - that will help reconnect your brain to the physical process of playing and get your chops moving again.

5. Satish Robertson

Satish Robertson New Friend

Apr 26, 2006
    Jersey City, NJ
    LOOOOOOONG TONES AND LOTS OF 'EM IN CONJUNCTION WITH PLENTY OF LIP FLEXIBILITY EXERCISES. You'll be back in business. :cool:

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Do what you always did... just do less of it at first and increase gradually. Don't re-invent what worked before (assuming it worked).

ML