Not sure on what to play...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by horner, Jan 24, 2009.

1. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England
    Hi all,

I was recommended to play in a concert for something called the "English Speaking Union" by a teacher in my old school who heard me play a solo in a concert in the brass band i am in. I have been asked by the person organising this concert to play three or four pieces as part of a three person concert, myself on trumpet, a singer doing some solo's and a poet to break the music up a bit.

I am getting really nevous about this as it will be my first time being on a concert that is not a school/university concert or a concert with a band to play in. I also do not really know what to play for it as i have no idea what sort of people will be there or even what the English Speaking Union actually is. Are there any suggestions what to play? What type of music etc.

I passed grade 8 last spring so i am a reasonable player, i played the second and third movements of the Hayden Trumpet Concerto for the exam, would that be a good choice for the concert? I also played Fanfare for the Common Man and a Vizzutti study, Polka i think its called... It might help to know that the concert is in April so i do have some time to learn a knew piece if i have too...

Any advice would be welcome!

:-?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Horner,
    you should play what you have available in your repertory. You may want to check what the poet will read and see if there is a melody already composed or will fit the metrum. Most audiences will enjoy a simple melody much more than a complicated, not yet properly prepared piece.

A really gorgeous melody will capture everybodies attention.

3. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    First in your mind this should be no different then any other Solo you have played at University!!! I say this because you have an audience at every concert so this should not be new to you. If you have never played a solo before I might see some slight nerviousness since you will not be able to hide in the section but really haveing past your Grade 8's I would imagine you are more then up to this! Obviously those tht have taught you think you are up for this so have some confidence in yourself and stop second guessing those who have listened to you and thought highly of you! They wouldnot pick you if they did not think youhad the chop's for the job. I assure you that their are plenty of people in the U.K. that can play a trumpet that they did not pick you because they had no one to select from! So know that the second guessing part is out of the way I suggest youc ontact you teacher's and see what they are wanting in termsof pieces??? They might very welll be able to tell you about your audience and purpose of the concert etc.... Information is what you are lacking not skill! SO work it from that end buy picking up the telephone and calling some people! Go speak to people in person if that is an option. Take any mussic from University that you have played with you to get help picking some pieces. If you have played Paganini Caprice No.24 I would say that it works well for almost any situation since it is under 5 minutes and sounds impressive as can be if performed in a lively and expressive fashion. Hydens stuff is great heck if all youplayed was his trumpet work you could easily fill your quota of 4-5 pieces etc..... I think you will find you have plenty of material you just need help picking! Go with what you already know really well unless you have the time to learn a new piece or two which based onthe fear in your writeing and sesne of urgency I get I am think you will not.

Good Luck!!!! Remember you would not have been picked if your teacher's did not think you had the skills to get the job done so take deep breath and relax.

4. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Learn a new piece, not something you've done before. The new piece will be somewhat fresh and demonstrate your latest skills. something you've done to pass through the test is something you've done a ways back; no longer challenging. You're probably past that in your skills.

But always, if you want redundancy, and we all must,.... practice dynamics and long tones daily. I don't care what note you play. Buzz the lips daily without a mouthpiece and work the pencil exercise four minutes a day and you can play whatever you want if you put your voice and your heart in it. People don't want to hear perfect register, they want to hear personality and emotion when you play.

Pick a song and know exactly what it is about so you can relate the story with your trumpet voice.......DYNAMICS.

5. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England
    Thanks rowuk, i was thinking that a nice melody would be the way to go for one of them, maybe something like Stardust or something like that? And i will try and find some more info about the whole thing. Thank you for the kind words of encouragement lv555. I dont think i would learn a new difficult piece for it, i think i would be too nervous when it came to playing a new piece out in a setting ive not been in before, i dont think i would be comfortable enough, but i think you are right about playing "with voice and heart in it" bachstul.

6. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Good advice, especially since you admit you are nervous. At this stage in your development it's more important to have a successful solo outing than to be technically brilliant. You will then be able to build confidence for more challenging solo presentations in the future.

7. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    I agree with Rowuk,

Keep it simple! Disagree with me if i am wrong but the average "Joe public" does not want to be educated and a safe option is a good solid tune. 2nd movement from the Haydn, or if you are a brass band, My love is like a Red Red Rose (that is a good one for the chicks), there is quite an easy Wynton Marsalis arrangement of the folk tune "Believe if all those endearing charms" (the title is something like that), trumpet voluntary, or one i love to play is Cornet Chop Suey everyone loves a little Louis Armstrong!

8. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes, Nerves are something you have to learn to deal with! NOthing sooths them like plenty of past secsess!! SOme people never get over the pre performance nerves. I never suffered from nerves in band because I always felt like I was welcome by those I played with and I always felt that the audience wanted me to make beautiful music for them. I had really bad nerves though before every sporting event in my life. Even though I was undefeated as a Wrestler I suffered from drive heaves and a nervious stomach and bladder before every single match! They used to have to come in the bath room and drag me out 2-3 minutes before a match so I could warm up a bit. The strange thing was that the second my foot touched the mat my nerves would go away and most of the sounds would die down and my focus would shift radicly and I would be absolutely fine and performed at my best. So even if you do not get over your pre-performance nerves often the second you start to play the nerves will go away. You just have to learn to deal with them in such a way that younever let it stop you from doing what you love and have been trained to do which is make music! Remember the audience want's you to do fine they are their to hear you play they are eager for you to share music with them so that they can experince what ever they do as they listen to your music! No one their wants you to fail and the audience is confident that your teacher's and those putting the program together have choosen great musicians for them to listen to!! SO everyone is their for you and the other artist's and all of them believe in you or they wouldnot be their! No one attends a show hopeing the artist will fail and sound dreadful! So keep that in mind that they are their to support you and share your music!