Notes above Double G

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JoeCool, Jul 26, 2006.

1. JoeCool

JoeCool New Friend

Dec 9, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I wasn't sure where to post this, so I stuck it in here...

I'm finally starting to get some good GG's under my belt. I'm also starting to get notes above GG, but they are so tiny sounding. Is this how it starts? I know the acoustic properties change at or around GG and the horn at this point becomes more of a megaphone than something that offers feedback. If I'm on the right path, what can I do to get these notes bigger? I'm trying to hit the gas and apply more air, but that seems to shut everything down. Maybe I'm still trying to play as if I'm at or below GG. Any tips would help. Thanks.

Joe

2. JoeCool

JoeCool New Friend

Dec 9, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Wow, 85 views and not a response! :?:

3. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota
    I'd love to help, but would only give you bad advice regarding the use of a lot of pressure and a real small mouthpiece.

:D

In all seriousness, I'm in the same boat you are so am looking forward to any responses!

4. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    I am not a screamer but if you are already hitting good double G's then you should be able to answer your own post dont you think? :think:

5. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Double G's Wow!

I can sometimes get the "D" above High "C" so I would be very pleased if I were you.

I guess it depends on what your goals are.

Wish I had something to add the only advice I can pass along is what was given to me by my teacher.

Practice scales and just walk right up into the stratosphere. One note at a time and it'll come. :dontknow:

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I'll echo what Phatmon said, if you have the high G in your range then you have accomplished what only a few out of every 1000 trumpet players have.

Congrats to you. :cool:

7. jultone

jultone New Friend

Feb 9, 2006
    St Paul, MN
    <snip>I'm trying to hit the gas and apply more air, but that seems to shut everything down.</snip>

Therein lies part of your issue. Do you hit the gas and apply more air to hit a C above G in the staff? If you treat this range proportionally to the range in the staff, things are going to come out nice and freely.

The other part is your mind. In all my years of trumpet playing, 22, I have found that my mind is my own worst enemy. When it stays out of the way, the sky is the limit. Once I start telling myself, 'I can't hit that note', or 'I can't play that', sure enough, it doesn't happen.

Good luck.

8. JoeCool

JoeCool New Friend

Dec 9, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Thanks folks!

9. 11thchair

11thchair Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    Evansville In
    I'm on track with Jultone (Dan). I'm also an octave below you. G above Hi C is my playing limit. I occassionaly hit a CC and it does not fizzle out. But hitting the gas does not seem to be the method. Practice sounds like the path. An instructor who knows how play higher seems like way to go.

I wonder what Prof. Hill is doing?

10. NickD

NickD Forte User

GG?????????

Joe, I have to ask...

Are you talking about G which is four ledger lines about thge staff? That's not a double G, at least by any nomenclature that I've experienced (which certainly has its limits). That's a high G. The C abouve that (6 spaces above the staff) is the double high C. The G ABOVE double high C is the double high G.

If you're getting a double high G I can only ask, "what's to worry about?" The likelihood that you'll ever SEE anything like that WRITTEN is pretty slim. It's only going to be usedin an improvised solo.

I can hit a pretty good F over double C when I'm practicing. On gigs with big bands where I get to uncork one now and then I rarely do more than a double C (typically a Maynard chart or if I'm bugged about someting). I've never ventured that high on a gig. The only people who seem to be impressed by that are other trumpeters, and there aren't that many of those in the audiences I play for.

Hey man, if you're hittn' G's over double C, I'd make time to practice something else! You're doing just FINE in the chops area!

FWIIW coming from me...

Peace!

ND