notes at C and below

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oldgit, Apr 17, 2011.

1. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    Am pretty happy with my playing at the moment with one exception. for a while now i have not been happy with the tone i get for notes at C and below (below the staff).
    I can change the note with the lip but still not really Happy with it. I do not have anyone local that i can work with but feel if i had someone with a good tone play the note well i could work on matching it. would any of you be willing to put up some long notes in the lower range for me to work toward.
    any advice appreciated.
    thanks
    Steve :play:

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Are you using a tuner to check yourself on those long notes below.
    It may help you to centre the pitch, and develop a better confidence on getting the accuracy for those notes.
    Cheers

3. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    yes i have a tuner and that does help but still would like to have a real trumpet to match to. Maybe its just because i am a beginner only in my first year.
    steve

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    1st step OG - consider your breath control - especially down low.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    2nd step .... loosen the embochure a tiny bit down low. It's like playing a bigger saxophone .... the embochure is the same, just a little looser. I like that range down low, it can be very rich.

I agree, it's very helpful to follow somebody else's tone. Another way to center your long tones (and so much more interesting IMO) is to use the tuner to quickly find the key notes of songs on the radio or cds, and play long "drone tones" over it. If it's the key note, and it's not fast and complicated jazz, you can center your notes over the music. VERY effective for music that doesn't change so often, like Folk. Not so easy with stuff like Bebop. If the recorded music is on concert pitch (it's not always:shock:), it's good ear training.

Turtle

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    low notes --- those below the low C, take lots of air. try to open the throat (like saying AHHH! when at the dentist) --- I know hard to picture on the web here.
    anyways -- try to softly push more volume of air through the horn with opening the aperture ever so slightly, not faster -- JUST fuller air.
    I know that don't help much --- but that is my trying to help

7. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    Never thought of using a tuner to find the notes on music, thats really helped, tried some just now. will play with it some more tommorrow.
    At really soft volume its ok and again if i push it up loud its ok its the middle that sounds loose to me.
    thanks for all the replys. Will keep working on it.
    steve

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    That durn Bb below the C is a "killer" and one that often indicates the need of a precision valve alignment when it is evasive and you recognize it being so and can do nothing yourself to correct it, such as a slide adjustment.

9. Carlw

Carlw New Friend

Aug 5, 2009
    Toronto
    Yes breath control and centre of pitch are very important, but you also will have a very difficult time without these important notes (pardon the pun):
    -Are you dropping the jaw
    -Are you lowering your tongure position
    -is your head up, not pinching the are coming through the throat
    -what mouthpiece are you using
    -you really should be using a good wide rim and a C cup, no lead mouthpieces!!
    -like everyone has mentioned, your sound will be tiny and your centre of pitch will wonder big time without addressing these AND keeping the air moving the the horn at a constant velocity.

Hope this helps, good luck, I'm working in the other direction "↑"

10. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    Looking in the mirror i am keeping the head up and think the jaw drops a bit ( very little ), tongue is lower again not much.
    I use a bach megatone 1 1/2B it replaced my 1 1/2C that had a damaged rim, to be honest it was the same with the C cup if anything i find the B easier to use.
    Will be working on it tommorow so will post how i get on.