Notes vs. Music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Liblip

Liblip New Friend

Mar 29, 2008
    My teacher told me of a recent lecture at Univ. of North Florida by Jon Faddis. The lecture became a master class when Mr. Faddis played a series of correct notes without the corresponding rhythm. Then he played incorrect notes with the proper rhythym. The students picked out the tune (some nursey rhyme) immediately.

Librarians see the same thing in the course of cataloging foreign language print. A former prof of mine cataloged a book written in Hawaiian. He was originally a Hungarian with working knowledge of 6 or 7 other European languages. He cataloged the Hawaiian piece as a prayer book, as he recognized the cadence of one page as "The Lord's Prayer," and drew recognition of other pages as he worked. -Ed

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  2. ska

ska Pianissimo User

Sep 12, 2009
    Estonia
    I guess you can tell when a person is playing 1:1 the note and when they are really enjoying to play the piece. :)

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I dare to disagree. Technical abilities do not exclude expression. Most musician that have attained pro level know enough about style, phrasing and articulation to play the notes with the needed expression. However, what they do is often dictated by the vision of the conductor...

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I have to agree so a certain extent. However, I think this is due to the conductor. What he/she feels needs to go out to every musician. I would suggest listening to Valery Gergiev and the Kirov Orchestra doing Sheherazade or Bernstein and Mahler. if you like your orchestras a little more modern sounding, the CD Vintage Movies Classics (I think that's the title) conducted by Kunzel.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC

As an orchestra musician i say , you must be listening to the wrong orchestras. get recordings of San Francisco under Thomas, Chicago under Reiner, Cleveland under Szell, Philly under Ormandy. New York under Bernstein. Viena under Karahan. Anybody want to add some!

Actually I just reread your post. Opps! I agree. Some orchestras play like they are dead and just going through the motions.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    nordlandstrompet: You are not only very good with photoshop (or whatever you use) but also at pointing out the "De luxe music". That was a great recording. Certainly different than Maynard or Arturo or Doc but I guess that is the point of this thread. Notes can be made into music in many different ways and the art of doing that is not lost.

Perhaps there are some orchestras that are uninspired but there are still plenty that can create music that appeals to large audiences. Andre Rieu is one that comes to mind.

Thanks again.

7. TonyG

TonyG New Friend

Sep 15, 2009
    for me personally, just looking at sheet music and playing the notes doesn't do it for me. i first like to hear the selection and determine if the rhythm and flow is something i like, and then when i decide i like a piece i generally "add" my own interpretation through subtle variances that give what im playing my personality.

i dont know any of the technical terms for what i am doing, but i know how to finger the notes and how to purse my lips to get the correct pitch, and then its all about making it sound great on a consistent basis.

point being is that its all about the music and how you feel about what your playing and much less about the notes on a sheet of paper....unless of course your being paid to play it a certain way :)

T

8. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Making music? :roll: