Notes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chsbulldog2012, Nov 18, 2009.

1. chsbulldog2012

chsbulldog2012 New Friend

Oct 26, 2009
    Cecilia, LA
    Is there any possible way to play lower than a low F#?
    If so, what what is the fingering?

2. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Pedal tones continue downward using the same fingerings from first space F down to the low F#. Do a search for "Pedal Tones" for more information.

3. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    Yeah, he's right when he says pedal tones.
    Also, you can go about an octave (and a half?) lower than middle C by just putting your top lip in the mouthpiece and buzzing loosely. No valves needed.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    jdostie's right.

5. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Printing this and writing it on my calendar! :lol:

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It depends on what you call "play".

The way trumpets are built, low F# is the lowest "practical" tone with reasonable intonation. There is a "pedal tone" which would normally be a low C when not depressing any valves, but due to the size and shape of the bell, that pedal tone is about one whole tone flat when played "centered".

There is an advanced technique to bend those notes up to the right pitch. Still a LOT of practice is needed before we can use them for anything - and there is still a gap between the low F# and that pedal tone.

A flugelhorn has a different bell size and shape and can play those pedal tones in tune with much less work. If you get a 4 valved flugel horn you can play cleanly more than an octave lower - that lets you chase trombone players if you want!

7. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Some horns are built so that hte third valve slide can be thrown almost all the way out and play a useable low F. On my Bach Bb, I made an extra long stop rod thing so that if I need to, I can move the little stopper things out farther than normal and throw the slide just where I need it.

8. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    I don't know if Pedals are ever used musically - I've not seen them used, but that doesn't mean it's not so. They can be, and are used for development in certain curriculum, however.

But, here is what Claude Gordan had to say about pedal tones:
    "However, if you do not know how and therefore do not practice the pedals correctly, it would be better not to use them at all."
    and
    "The pedals are not a cure-all, but are a vital part of development and practiced correctly they force the entire machine to work correctly." (Brass Playing is no Harder than Deep Breathing, pages 19-20)

9. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    I can't see any reasonable reason to chase the paper clip guys
    with my flugel, cornet or trumpet at all [​IMG]

10. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    On my trumpet is nearer to a half tone...