'nother age question...

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Manny Laureano, May 2, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    For you younger folk and trumpeters from overseas, Leroy "Satchel" Paige was a legendary figure in the Negro Leagues in baseball. He was immensely talented and was a pitcher with very few peers. He has any number of legends attached to his life story and if you don't know anything about him I would say read up on him or rent a good movie about him. Lou Gossett Jr. made one for TV about 20 years ago. He was resentful at first that he was passed over to be the first black man in the Major Leagues when Jackie Robinson was chosen. He did eventually play for the Cleveland Indians late in his career.

Anyways, many quotes are attributed to him like "Don't look over your shoulder, somebody might be gaining on you."

The most famous quote is the point of my question for you today.

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?"

So, in real years, not trumpet years, how old would you think you were if you just appeared in your present mind and body and no one told you chronological age?

Me? I'd be about 30 but I'd have to ask why my hip hurts so much of the time!

ML

2. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Tough question, Manny. I would say 35, to be honest. I need to get more physical activity. Too much time in front of this screen in the off hours, I guess. Mentally, I have been referred to as a "big 3-year-old" by one of my former students. She said it with a laugh (not a snicker), so I guess it's a good thing...

(edited by me to remove what after some thought sounded a little too over the top...apologies...)

3. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    To be completely honest, and taken under the assumption that this is a purely subjective question, I'd think I was at least forty, maybe even sixty. The reason is the first 18 years of my life were pretty much spent hogtied on a rope attached to the back of a pickup truck traveling 85 MPH down a gravel road, me being dragged helplessly behind. Long story short, I'm a basket case of ugly duckling and runt of the litter tied up in the same package, and where I've ended up today is a statistical improbability. I've learned that in life I'm a tribe of one, and I've learned not to rely on too many people too often. Quite a few times I'll feel like an old crank, but the good news as I see it is that the journey in life never ends, and one must ride the high and survive the lows. Did I just call that good news? :dontknow:

4. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    ML...

It depends on the day. Take today for example...I just finished my first and only final exam for the week and am looking forward to a summer that includes a four month gig playing the trumpet (for money, if you can belive it!). Plus I just recieved my new Prana 1 C (Maybe I'll start a thread on that)! So...I feel like I'm about 12 and have no cares in the world! WooHoo!

Now a week ago, as I was trying to write a big paper, playing in four different groups that were either recording or performing or rehearsing every day for two weeks straight (not to mention teaching and going to class)...well, I felt old and tired. Maybe 70.

I'm sure no one cares about all the details of that, but there you go. I guess on a "normal" day, if there is such a thing, I'd say I feel about how old I actually am, which is fairly young. I'm in no hurry to be old and inflexable (or without humor, which no one should ever be!).

Jason. (26)

(Satch also said "To pacify the stomach, lay down and think cool thoughts." I think that's close, I don't remember exactly.)

5. Ai_Dygress

Ai_Dygress Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2005
    IL
    After the past couple of years... :-( I am guessing about 60+ is what I feel like anymore... still recovering.

6. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    I'm not sure what number to put on it, but after the last 5 years of country traveling, bullet dodging and life altering events, I feel like im AT LEAST 10 years older than my 23....
    -J

7. chetbaker

chetbaker Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    GEORGIA
    Just got back home from the dentist after having a VERY difficult root canal...need I say more?!? :twisted: :-( :shock: :cry:

Butch

8. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Ugh..........I had one of those 2 weeks ago. It is still tender, but the Dentist said it will take a while to calm down. He put me on Prednizone, which means I am eating everything in site...............

:oops:

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    QUICK! Hide your posts. Mikey will eat anything. :bleah:

10. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    20 something maybe.