Now this was embarassing!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NickD, Sep 26, 2010.

1. NickD

NickD Forte User

Ok, a week ago I was doing a rough rock gig - louder than all get out and I was expected to "bring the heat." There were some intonation issues. I tried switching shanks on my Wedges. That helped a bit, but things still felt a bit more dicey thanthey shold have. I continued for the rest of the week, switching horns around, too.Well, yesterday, before I went to work,I sorted it all out. You're going to love this!

Now, in my defense. I do rinse my horns out periodically and snake the lead pipe. However, with my NYTC Broadway model, I was noticing the first valve to be sluggish. This implied to me that there was some goop growing in a port or something. I decided to completely clean the horn again. I did and got a little goop out, but not much more than usual. Also, even after a thorough valve block brushing, that darn first valve kept dragging.

So, I took my snake and ran it IN THROUGH the bell to see if I could push something out of the port leading into he first valve. Well, the snake got stuck. I thought it was just having trouble making it around the crook. I took it out and ran some hot tap water through the bell and a HUGE glop of sludge came plopping out of the first valve port. There was so much crud in the bell cork it actually jammed up the snake! After I got that all out of there, the snake went through just fine. More importantly, the horn played REAL NICE - like new!

Man is my face red! So memo to myself: every time I rinse the horn, I'll SNAKE THE BELL CROOK, too!

Now, you can laugh at me!
    ;-)

Peace!

Nick

2. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    Yeah that happens. I had that happen to my mouthpiece once. It add resistance and changed my tone completely.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Pics?;-)

4. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    No, no pics, please!

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Eeew. Pics unncecessary...

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    That's actually makes me feel a bit better - I recently had problems getting the simple 2nd tpt solo in They Can't Take That Away From Me - just wouldn't give me a clean sound - and I'm meticulous with my cleaning - or so I thought. Globs of junk in the tuning slide - almost as if the lubricant has absorbed water - looked like mucous - yuk, sorry. This is the first time I've experienced this. Thanks Nick.

7. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    So what kind of snake are you using Nick? One of those Reka? (spelling?) I'm afraid of gouging the inner surface with the normal kind of snake that has metal holding the bristles. I just tried to buy one of those Reka snakes (from Europe) and canceled the order when told it would cost me 50 Euros!

Craig

8. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    The Reka trumpet kit sells for A$27.50 here, A$25.00 for export +A$13.18 postage to the USA. I find them very good except as they age have a tendancy to leave little bits of rubber behind.

Regards, Stuart.

9. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    I'm in Japan. I found it online here for about $25 (US). It was only about 10 Euros from Belgium and I am shocked shipping would be 5 times that much. I want to try out one of those kind of snakes though, and maybe spit balls as well. Hope I don't find a bunch of gunk like Nick!

Craig

10. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Would be nice if H&W Brass Saver Company would make a Tapered Bell Brush for cleaning the whole inner Bell tubing. Something like the Sax players have.

If you gently use a snake,and you push it to far, and it feels stuck. Do not panic and start pulling to hard, etc.

Just take the long valve casing H&W Brush and push the snake end till it is straight in line of the Bell port hole. Will gently pull back out. Just go slowly. I snake my Bell,when time to clean, but very gently and carefully.

Take care all.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010