Now this was embarassing!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NickD, Sep 26, 2010.

1. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    I find my horns play best when they have reached the maximum level of junk.....just before the sound closes up completely or some other weird event happens to shut it down. Very beneficial for range......

2. NickD

NickD Forte User

I use a trombone snake. The long spring is covered in plastic. The brushes do have metal holding them together, but on mine it is pretty well embedded in the plastic bristles.

I'm going to try using some H2O2 in my cleanup regimen. I figure if I get the standard disinfectant concentration you can get a drug store (3-5% or something like that) it might be enough to start breaking down organic deposits in the horn. Plus any residual chemical inside the horn will just decay into water and a little oxygen released.

ND/&out

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Sounds a good idea Nick, I sit next to a MD in orchestra and before he starts to play he pours a little alcohol through his mouthpiece and lets it out the water key, my friend on the other side only cleans his horn when we complain of the smell.:-(

Regards, Stuart.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Reminds me of that thread about bacteria in trombones. The study group cleaning them refused/stopped when they ALL had some deadly stuff in them.

5. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    Methinks someone is MESSING with us,for lack of the word I would like to use.
    :evil:

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    :huh:?

7. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I know it shouldn't, but reading this made me a little bit happy (My horn is spotless, so I have no excuses) :play:

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yeah Nick,
    you would have to dehydrate the glop before you could burn it out. Actually, if you had paid more attention to your breath support, you would have blown it onto someone in the audience.

I think you have given me a really good reason to clean my horn tonight. Thanks!

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    .... and me.

Reminds me of an outdoor gig, me playing 3rd chair and doubling with a visitor - suddenly silence beside me, and at the pause I turned to find this 'sheila' reaming food out of her mouthpiece backbore with a knitting needle. :-(

10. Jon7C

Jon7C New Friend

Dec 3, 2009
    xx

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010