Numb Lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    After 10 weeks of practicing 3 hours a day, my upper lip has developed a numbness that has me concerned.This has made it hard to find my "sweet spot" embouchure, thus I do a lot of hunting. This first started about 2 weeks ago...and no, I do not use much pressure when playing. My practicing is done at very soft levels. Has anyone ever experienced this? I am a new trumpet student.

2. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Not Good.

I'm a beginner but even I know that's a sign of too much pressure.

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Sounds like you are playing too much at one time. Try shorter sessions, say 30 minutes at a time with at least 30 minutes of rest inbetween. Even during the 30 minute session you need to take the mpc off the lips frequently. Remember you're putting a piece of metal against flesh and blood

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi trumpet dreamer:
    Please check out Mouthpiece Pressure Assessment

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    What is your practice routine like? For every minute or so of direct playing, you ought to be relaxing for at least 30 sec to a minute. I it is stenuous, demanding practice, maybe more. When we say an hour practice, we are talking about maybe 30 minutes of actual sound with rests in between. Also, don't only practice at soft levels. Move the sound up every so often. It is called a "trumpet."

6. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    My practice routine typically would be 3 times a day for an hour or so each time, with plenty of rest as well. The evening session would be playing tunes at whatever volume I felt like. Perhaps I simply overdid it. Three of the fingers on my left hand are now partially numb as well as my lips. I have an excellent teacher, and I am very conscious not to use the "Armstrong" method. Maybe I should take a break for a couple days, however I really hate to miss out practicing!

7. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I'm a beginner (on trumpet at least) and yes, you're overdoing it. And if your teacher can't recognize this, well hmmm. It's really like losing weight in a sense (in reverse though)...even though it feels like your doing the right thing by starving yourself and running 10 miles a day, and you're losing 15 pounds a week, you'd actually be doing yourself harm. The body isn't built to lose weight that quickly. Same with an instrument...you have to give your mind and muscles times to "remember" and rejuvenate.