Number of Pros vs. Amateurs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mchs3d, Mar 27, 2010.

What percentage of your income do you make by playing/teaching the trumpet?

1. 75-100%

18.2%
  2. 50-75%

2.6%
  3. 25-50%

3.9%
  4. 0-25%

15.6%
  5. I don't make money; it's just a hobby.

59.7%
  1. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Sometime ago, a question came to my mind. I was wondering how many people on this forum consider themselves "pros", vs. those who are "amateurs." I searched the forums already and could not find a similar topic, so I think this one is okay to post. Basically, I have separated it completely by monetary income, even though I understand that being professional is more than just making money. I think it will be interesting to see what the results are.

2. oljackboy

oljackboy Pianissimo User

Feb 26, 2009
    Falls Church, Virginia
    With respect, I think that using dollar percentages will probably tell you more about how much trumpet players make in their day gigs than it will about how much paid work they are getting.

3. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    I don't make any money with my horns and I can't : I'm not a good player... But music is not a mere "hobby" for me, it's my life.

4. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    How about those of us who were full-time musicians who came off the road and are now earning their primary source of income elsewhere? Am I now no longer a professional? I am afraid there is no definitive answer to this question. All things are not discretely B/W.

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    The poll is a little flawed. Think about someone that makes 150,000 in the day job and 20,000 playing. They are doing a lot of playing.

6. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I am with Ed on this one.

7. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    The question was not whether or not you consider yourself to be a pro but:
    "What percentage of your income do you make by playing/teaching the trumpet?"

No matter if you consider yourself to be a pro or an amateur - to answer the question should not be a big problem.

:-?

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Most of you have heard the threory of "personality" types that gravitate toward certain instrucments. Yes, a big generalization -but think of your typical clarinet player. Or what comes to mind when you mention flute. To me, trumpet players, in general have been a very multitalented group. Many have good jobs making their living, but handle music as hobby. Several good friends of mine could have easily played with Maynard (and did with other recognizable groups), but now only play as a hobby.

I have always heard that making a living with a horn is difficult, unless you luck into recording studio work or with a very stable group like the Air Force jazz band. You are always one gig away from the bread line. The point being, many players that could be pros do not do it for money.

9. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Still with Ed on this one...Not intending to be critical of the survey or its intent, but I think the survey results would provide a misleading, impractical indication. The love, pursuit, and passion for making music is art, not science.

10. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    So... would you like me to change the poll? I am more curious as to who is spending the majority of their time with the trumpet.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010