Number of Pros vs. Amateurs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mchs3d, Mar 27, 2010.

What percentage of your income do you make by playing/teaching the trumpet?

1. 75-100%

18.2%
  2. 50-75%

2.6%
  3. 25-50%

3.9%
  4. 0-25%

15.6%
  5. I don't make money; it's just a hobby.

59.7%
  1. oljackboy

oljackboy Pianissimo User

Feb 26, 2009
    Falls Church, Virginia
    You might find out more if you asked something like "How many paid gigs do you do per week (or month).

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I believe that specifying hours spent on payed gigs would be even more accurate.

3. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Maybe. However, a professor doesn't necessarily do "paid gigs" every day, although they are making a living on it.

4. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Military musicians are salaried - doesn't matter whether I do 2 gigs a month or 20, my pay depends on my rank and years of service. Number of hours spent on gigs makes no difference in my pay, yet 100% of my living comes from music.

5. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I think that is more of what I am after, here. I just want to know who is making the majority of their living playing the horn. I think we have some fantastic players on this forum who don't make a living at it, but I have always been interested to know how many full-time pros are actually on these forums.

6. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    Im in med school right now, and have no income. All the spare time not spent studying goes to my trumpet. Gigs are paid, but all the money is used to keep the orchestra's / bands alive. (and paying for gas for the drive ect.)

7. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    ditto here.

8. fleebat

fleebat New Friend

Jun 15, 2004
    So why not ask: "How many of you here make the majority of your income from playing or teaching trumpet?"

Just a thought.

RR

9. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the question, but being a "pro" or not isn't the the whole picture as to the level of a person's playing, or what music and trumpet mean to them. There are a great many players that play part time or for "fun" that are as every much as good as players who play for a living. I'm sure music and playing the trumpet are supremely important to all in this forum.

10. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    well you do have your royalities? do you? so it couns also.