Nyssma Level 6 Suggestions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by note360, Jun 8, 2008.

1. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    I just want to check otu some level 6s for next year so I can have the lsiting down to one or two and not feel stuck on one piece (right now it looks like the hindemith, hadyn or hummel as that is what my private teacher is stuck on). Can some oen reccomend some level 6s I can't get in contact wiht a manual for long enough to look at the level 6s and trust me... i've tried.

Things I have already played: Arutunian (97 some how. Not Allstate), Geodicke (95.... I botched the sight reading completely and my judge was very serious with tuning. He was easier on the second day kids though, but not me. I botched one scale some how.... :( I hate nerves. My principal trumpet broke down in tears right before I went on and we are good friends so me being a good person tried to help him and I think that actually got me unfocused. I was a ball of nerves. HOWEVER, I saw him the second day and the judge was saying how good my performance of the Geodicke was. One of the best, even though you missed a few parts, but atleast you kept on going.)

Any way, I am working on the Hindemith abit, my friend wants me to do Carnival, but I dont think I am ready and I really dont like it that much, I am to modest to play Carnival :p. The hadyn I dont think I will do just because every one does it. The Hummel is a possibility. Its in one year, but I jsut want to have a couple of options rounded down come January.

Edit: This has been talked about alot. I was not trying to shift blame to the judge. I take full blame for my performance that day. Please dont rail on me again about that... Thank you!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have been out of the NY State education system since the early 70's but I have all of my sheetmusic from back then and I played The Concerto in Ab Minor by Bernard Fitzgerald and got a 6A+ for it. I don't remember what movement that I played, but I wrote more stuff in on the Scherzo and Finale than on the other movements. I just pulled it out and looked at it - it is still good and I am going to brush it up and play it again soon! It may or may not be still listed, I have no idea as I am in Germany and the website is of no help - they seem to want to make money on that stuff!

I sang "the Trumpet Shall Sound" as a baritone at the same competition and got an A too

3. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Note360,
    It's great to find a fellow NY'er here.
    I've played the Hindemith and the Goedicke at auditions. Hindemith is great, and really is a great audition piece, when played well. Doesn't your school music teacher have a manual??
    I really don't have a big nerve problem. Sometimes simply acting confident, even if you're not helps alot.
    If you don't mind me asking, where are you from in NY? I'm a student in Buffalo.

Good Luck

4. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    Ah Im in Northport one of the best music schools in NY state and in the nation.

We have NYSSMA manuals. I am going to try to get to one. The teachers I think lock them up after NYSSMA season honestly, but my gf is close wiht the choir teachers so ill be able to get them. I asked before and they kinda looked at me like... why would you look at the manual now... Ah teachers.

Why dont they have this free. Honestly we should petition this this information should available to students free of charge on the internet.

5. Brass crusader

I don't see what the problem is with your looking at a manual. There is nothing confidential inside... I've always been able to get a look at the list of solos. In fact, you need to know what page it is on for the form.
    Good luck~

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Before coming down too hard on the teacher, keep in mind that things not locked up develop legs - and are then not available for everybody. Reality says that being a bit restrictive does not slow down the dedicated!
    As far as NYSSMA being encouraged to make anything free, good luck. Schools are paying for the manuals, why should they change? Idealism in education is only found in the best teachers/administrators.

7. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    I knwo it wont happen unless every one just goes no at hte same time.

I am just goign to ask my teacher on monday to see the solo list.

8. Brass crusader

Note,
    A bit off-topic here, but I notice we both have the same cornet, the '52 Ambassador. Don't you hate the large-shank reciever? I find myself really limited w/ the Olds #3, so I often drop in one of my flugel mouthpieces. They fit, and really mellow the tone up. I use my cornet as my "poor mans flugel", or when I don't want to bring my flugel to a gig. It's no substitute for the actual thing, of course, but is kinda unique.

Cheers

9. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    Yeha ive only had it for abit. I am debating whether i should get it replaced with a regular shank receiver. Kanstuls receivers are only 15 dollars and if I can find a repair man...

I dont know.

I also find the lack of saddles semi annoying. I kinda like those things. And the pinky ring instead of a saddle I find very annoying, However, it plays amazingly so im not gonna complain.

Now that I know about vintage horns I kinda wish instead of getting my Big Apple Strad I just got a nice vintage instrument. Or one of those Lawler Es.

How does the martin play?

10. westview1900

westview1900 Piano User

Nov 30, 2005