Nyssma Level 6 Suggestions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by note360, Jun 8, 2008.

1. TheChef

TheChef New Friend

Feb 15, 2007
    How about the Enesco Legende? I played it last year for NYSSMA, it's really fun to learn and I went to All-State in Dec. Make sure you get Phil Smith's recording, though.

Stevens Sonata is nice too, just played that, and some cornet solos are accessible if you have the endurance.

2. JustinSmith

JustinSmith Piano User

Nov 6, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    When I was in highschool in NY (circa 1989-1993), i played the Haydn one year and the Kennan Sonata another year. It seemed like the judges were very happy not to hear the Haydn Concerto or Goedicke Concert Etude another time that day. Also i remember Carnival of Vencie was level 5 back then.

Who are you studying with? You should listen to your private teacher's advice.

Sam Ash should have a copy of the manuals at their locations. They usually did not have a lot of the music on the list. at least the long island sam ash stores did not.

3. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    I'm a band director in the Syracuse, NY area and a private trumpet teacher. I find the first and second movement of the Hummel is a good NYSSMA level VI solo and teaching tool. For cornet, Clark's Bride of the Waves and From the Shores of the Mighty Pacific work well. Sonata by Flor Peters is fun(kind of expensive). The Halsey Stevens Sonata is wonderful, but, like the Hindemith, you better have a monster piano player to accompany you. I don't want to nit-pick, but if your judge was a "tuning nazi" you had better practice tuning to a piano. Also, scales in a level VI audition should be a gimme. Remember for Conference All State there are hundreds of trumpet players in New York that are trying for what, maybe 40 spots in orchestra, concert band, wind ensemble, and jazz band. A conference judge is going to be picky! Get over it and be prepared! Good luck, and have fun!

4. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    No I wasnt really complaining. I know full well I should of had my scales down flat, and my tuning should have been better (I am working on both of these plus sight reading). I have been working iwht the Hindemith and I quite like it. I can play through it pretty well. It is a good peice, I don't know if I will do it or not though at this point (I do have a year). Thank you for your suggestions.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    (95.... I botched the sight reading completely and my judge was a tuning nazi..............

The word "nazi" is not appropriate regardless of how tough the adjudicator was. You were not "exterminated".
    That word is far too powerful and should not be misused. This is not censorship, it is courtesy to the thousands that suffered a fate that they had no fault in. YOUR performance was not optimal and you should not point the finger at someone else for that. That is not what makes your playing better.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Don't play the Carnival. It needs a rest.

7. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    Haha sorry, I didnt mean to misuse it. I wasnt really intending to bring up bad connotations the man was a very nice person and I was being semi humourous... Probably shouldnt have used that word. I will show proper respect and remove the word from my previous posts. Sorry rowuk. I am young and stupid. I admit it

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  8. Sterling

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Hey Note 360. You sound like a good kid. You know, if you got a 97 on your the Artunian while blowing a scale and sight reading, your solo must have been spot on! Sugesstions for the Hindemith: This is really a sonata for trumpet AND piano, not a trumpet solo with piano accompianment. Get recordings of the Hindemith and listen to it while following the piano score. Many years ago, when I was in eighth grade (1968?), my private teacher had me play the Hindemith for NYSSMA, and I had no business playing it then. I'm sure that he had a good reason for having me prepare it at that time, but it was beyond my musical knowledge fitting the piano with the trumpet part. Good luck and have fun!

9. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Hi all,
    Hindemith is indeed a great piece, but a really good accompianist is needed for it, otherwise it comes out as a trumpet solo with an accompianment. That piano part is an absolute bear. I love the piece, and have used it for several auditions. I'm getting a bit bored, and might soon perform it on flugel. I think it sounds great either entirely(all of 1st mvt.) on flugel, or switching to flugel on certain sections. Very dark, full, "teutonic", as my teacher says.
    I'm working at it, we'll see how it turns out...
    ~Dave

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  10. Sterling

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Hey Brass Crusader, Try the Hindemith with a rotary bflat, preferably a German rotary! Otherwise, I have a nice Conn Director with a Coprion bell that I'm playing with a Monette B4S Flumpet mouthpiece that sounds pretty dark and Teutonic, almost, but not quite flugelhornish. The valves are starting to work quite nicely now. Thanks!

Lee