NYSSMA (New York School State Music Association) Solos

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by note360, Jan 20, 2007.

1. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    hello, this is only for people in NY (unless other states have a similar program). The basis of the program is you select a solo, prepare it and the perform it in front of a judge (with sight reading and scales) and he/she gives you a grade on it.

Just list the solo you are dong this year (if you are), or those of your students. Oh, also comment on the songs even if you haven't done a NYSSMA solo if you have played them before.

NYSSMA:
    Level - 6
    Piece - Concerto
    Composer/Arranger - Alexander Arutunian

NYSSMA Jazz:
    Level - 5
    Piece - Tunisia
    Composer/Arranger - Snidero, J.
    Book - Jazz Conception

in a couple of months I will probably have audio clips of each for commenting. Peer commentation makes you better after all.

UNRELATED: I also hope to get a small Jam Clip up to.

2. Young Trumpeter

Young Trumpeter Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2006
    classical
    level 6 (all state audition)
    Sonata
    Kent Kennan

jazz
    level 5
    i got yer rhythm
    mike carubia (the etude book by him and jeff jarvis. i dont remember the name off the top of my head)

3. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    Lol, same set up as me basically. What grade are you in? I am in grade 9.

Oh, also hwo do I try out for Allstate is their a different form or something.

4. Young Trumpeter

Young Trumpeter Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2006
    im in grade ten. you can only audition for all state when you're in grade 10 or 11. you do a level six, but there are different dates for it. you're graded the same way except the judge can also recommend you for all state if you're good enough. if the piece has a part for one, you need a piano accompianist (sp?)

5. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    360- To do a Conference All-State audition, talk to your band director. He has to check that off on the registration sheet. I'm not sure what that does for fees off the top of my head, but that is it. Note that for an all-state audition you MUST be accompanied (if the piece calls for it).

6. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    Hmm, lol the forms are due 2marrow and I have no one to do piano accompaniment for me. That and since I am in grade 9 I am to young. I'll ask my band director any way though. I mine as well try and reap all the benefits of doing a level 6.

I have to get that book, Maiden Voyage. BTW what track are you going to play on for the NYSSMA Jazz for the improv, I have to find the track that fits my style most. I already know that my style doesn't really fit with Song For My Father so I wont do that one. I was thinkg about Summertime though.

7. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    360- Doing a 6, with forms due tomorrow (that means you have an early date...sheets are due 6 weeks prior to the festival; earlier if your teacher wants the prime time slots for you) I would recommend just doing the solo unaccompanied. It's kind of short time to find an accompanist, rehearse with an accompanist and put together a great audition. If you do well enough, your teacher could recommend you for NYSBDA HS Honors band. (If he/she is a member of New York State School Band Director's Association). It' just as great an experience as NYSSMA Conference. It's all level 5 and 6 soloists, so the group is just as good. You may also have a local all-state festival to look forward to as well.

Get the most out of your experience, as you said. Then, after you understand what's expected at level 6, you'll know what to do for all-state.

To all NYSSMA soloists: work hard, play well, and I hope you have an enjoyable experience!

8. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    I don't think these are the final forms. However, these are the forms that will register us into it so we can get the finalized forms (payments). The final forms that will be graded won't be do for a while I don't think. Oh, and ya All-County is just as good for me. What is this NYSBDA HS Honors band. Also I get to have a new band director next year (hopefully I'll make the higher level school band. I got grouped in with the less talented players. This was probably not pending on my performance as first seat lest talented band is about equal to a position in the upper band, as we also have to consider each of the band directors wants a good band.)

Wow, this Artutunian Concerto is tough. I got a copy of Timofei Dokshizer playing it. The piece is not to hard, range wise, but it is very musical. In a month or two I am going to post up a recording of me running through it, whether it will be enjoyable or not I know not.

Any way, good luck to all.