NYTC Contest Video - Thanks Nick D!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by administrator, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    But you gotta play another awesome lick in the beggining

2. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    sounding good...hot licks!

3. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    do you record directly into a computer?

4. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    ca-raaaaaazy :shock:

5. NickD

NickD Forte User

Sorry for thge delayed response! This week at NTHS has been more than hectic. It has been frantic due to some unexpected problems and I was called upon to "put out some fires," as it were.

OK, the rules. I don't think I can explan them any better than they are in the forum already. I would suggest just reading them over.

Next, to the rocording thing...

This is actually an FAQ. I am going to prepare a video clip on how I do this. However, my basement recording studio is gutted for complete redesigna nd remodeling. Most of my gear is in storage. Nevertheless, I brougth my PC, M-Audio Firewire 1814 interface box, a couple of headphones and mics and a pair of Bose PC speakers (there are my sons speakers, actually) u into my famil room. I can still do a quick demo. It might actually be better, though. Nowdays one deosn't need a fancy setup to do some nice recording.

OK, I use an AKG gold leaf condensor mic to record direct onto my PC via Cakewalk. In the more recent recordings I' ve been experimenting with my son's clip on condensor mic. So far, I like it! I mix and edit all my sound that way. When I use a rhythm section, my setup is designed to allow up to 16 live inputs to my PC at a time - 16 track digital recording.

The video is VERY low tech, obviously. I am simply putting up "home videos" with a bit of a specific purpose. I feign no illusions that I think I am making real music videos. I am merely trying to put some humanity and reality to what I do. So I just set up my little Sony DV Camera on a tripod and video myself making a recording. Then I run that video clip onto my PC and edit it with MP4 Streamclip. Finally,I import that video into Cakewalk along with the sound which was recorded simultaneously. The imported video also automatially loads up a sound track from the camera recorded with the little mics on the camera. When I want the music to sond good, I put a volume envelope on the imported soundtrack and fade it out. I also fade the properly mixed and polished recored tack up. I do have to synch them up first. I just do that by ear. So far so good.

When I put up the video clip on how to do this, I think it will be clearer.

Ok, thanks for our patience. The dust at the high school will be clearing on Tuesday. Right at the moment, I am sitting waiting for another team to come in for judging. I am judging the Prospect Invitational of the Science Olympiad. I judge the Sounds of Music competition in which the kids design and build acoustic musical instruments and then discuss the physical acoustics of them. With a MS in Physics and a MM in classical trumpet, I am always asked to judge this event. It is always fun once one gets past the inevitiable logistics problems with an all volunteer event.

OK, gotta go find out where they are!

Peace, all!

Nick

6. Pj Coyle

Pj Coyle Pianissimo User

Feb 16, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Hmmm here tis :)

7. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California