NYTC Trumpet Tour!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Heavens2kadonka, May 9, 2005.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    [​IMG]

Phaeton Limited Edition. Modified by Eclipse trumpets. Two of five that will be made. I just recieved number one today. The silver one, to be precise. It DOES play very well, from the thirty minute warm that I used this horn with. Very responsive, and more open than the regular Phaeton, while a lot of the qualities of the original Phaeton sound still seem present.

Ten other people have agreed to join in on this tour! People with various experience with the trumpet, from pro to amatuer to comebacker! The primary horns of these testers are also as varied, from Yamaha to Lawler to Chicago Brass Works to Monette! This should make for various opinions on this horn, and make for a very good experience this summer!

The tour should officially begin in two weeks. I will keep you all abreast on the latest developments.

Van

2. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    While I am thinking about it...

You all who are involved with this tour (You know who you are!), please email me with full name and mailing address. This will allow me some time to figure out how to go about setting the course of where this horn will go to and when. I don't want to start off sending to California, and then have them send to Maine...

[email protected]

Also, include in the email if you want your names revealed, just first name, or screenname here. Some people are edgy about things like this.

Van

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    :dontknow: I thought that was the picture posted a couple of months ago showing the Stage Ones the guys on the 42nd Street tour were going to play?

4. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Nope. To my knowledge Felix hasn't leaked any photos of the Stage 1 Californias yet. It's driving me nuts.

5. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    Stage 1 California

You should all see photo's in about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. Shipping should commence from the UK by the end of this week!!!

Tony G

6. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    These horns do look like the California prototypes,but........
    ;-)

7. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    The prototype does look a lot like this horn I have, though I'm sure the lightweight bell would make for a MUCH brighter sound.

OOOOooooh, guys. This horn is really nice. I'm actually thinking it beats the NY Stage 1 that is so vaunted in my book.... :-o

Even throughout the register, its frightening. Tone production is spot-on. I can almost think of the note, and it will appear. However, if I try and force in ANY way, the sound dies, though. VERY unforgiving horn. I love it. Forces me to play at my best.

Can play pedal Cs, and almost ring out the horn. Never been able to get anything better than a gutteral noise down there. The high range? Strange, I had a much better high range when I started this evening with the horn, even reaching double register, and it sounded GOOD! But I found that by later tonight, the range was all gone. Realize I may be approaching the high C and higher differently than I should. Bleh, I hate not being perfect. :D

Van

8. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    Van,try not to think about the little things,just play it. ;-)
    The NY Stage 1 is being remade...completely.It just getts better from here.You will see a different instrument,same ideas and same conversions and modifications,but better.Same goes for the Classic and California models.
    It takes time.

Felix

9. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    The order of testing!

(Subject to changes until Friday May 20th)

1: Nick Drozdoff
    2: Flugel Flyer
    3: Steve Castles
    4: Mark Taylor
    5: Dave Mickley
    6: Greg Zent
    7: Richard Zeller
    8: Collin McDougall
    9: Dave Rodgers
    10: Tim Baird
    11: Michael Smith
    12: Patrick Gleason
    13: Robert Rowe
    14: Greg C
    15: Adam Metzler
    16: Jason Wang

The tour starts in Illinois, then swoops through Indiana to Minnesota, then makes an abrupt turn, stopping by Arkansas, then making a stop at California, before turning back around, hitting Texas. From there, it sweeps up the Mid-Atlantic region, stopping by Maryland, before Jason in NY city tests, then finally hand delivers the horn to Felix.

THE RULES!!!

1: Treat the horn well, and there will be no problems.
    2: Post your review on this topic. No need to write a dissertation, but a brief overview of what you liked, didn't like will work fine!
    3: Send the horn to the next person with $3000.00 insurance, and SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION.
    4: I will PM each tester with the address of the next person towards the end of their testing time.
    5: Each tester has ten days with the horn. If the last day of the testing period happens to be Sunday, send the horn Monday.
    6: If you have any questions or comments about this horn test, feel free to PM me or Felix.
    7: If you wish to use the horn for a few extra days for a gig, or some other event, PM me. I will most likely allow you to use it for those extra days. We're nice like that. :D

I will start Friday, when I send the horn to Nick D.

I am sincerely looking forward to all of your comments and suggestions over this period.

Van

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Cool! I can't wait to put this horn through its paces!