O.K. to swap?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 9horn, Dec 13, 2009.

1. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
    Hi guys, I have an Olds Special that has a generic third valve piston replacement, air leak has been determined. If I swap the piston with my Olds Ambassader's the leak goes away and the horn sounds better. Is this an OK fix as i do not use the Ambassader at this time, or do we not do this type of thing:huh:? Both horns are the same year 1964. It also looks like the generic is made of a different material than the others. Thanks

2. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    If it works successfully, it's fine to do that. If it makes your Olds Special play better, then you're all set. The generic would look like it's made of a different material most likely because it's shinier than the others, which means that it's not fully contacting the walls of the casing thus resulting in the air leak.

3. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
    Thanks dhbailey, I wonder also if you can tell me how to remove the valve spring brass guide that slides up and down with the spring. The Special guide has a beveled edge and the Ambassader has a squared edge. I would like to exchange them to make all pistons the same.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    What problem does the air leak cause? I cannot imagine the "wrong" valve, not even lapped into the casing, played by different players in the past with a completely different wear patterns working better.

What do you mean "plays better"?

5. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    To change the brass valve guide, you first unscrew the valve stem and pull off the spring.
    You'll notice that the valve guide is actually two brass rings -- one, the real valve guide, is a circle with a little piece which fits into the notch on the spring barrel part of the piston and also has the little piece which fits into the notch in the casing. The slightly smaller inside ring has a cut in it and it also has a groove which is where the spring fits. Use a small screwdriver to pry that ring out of its position in the real valve guide and then pull it off and that allows extra play in the real valve guide so that is now manouverable so that it can be pulled off.

Reverse the process to install the new one.

6. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
    Thanks again dh for the tecnical advice. I didn't want to attempt anything before asking a pro. rowuk, It plays better by being less airy sounding, seems to sound clearer and slot eaiser. Doing the leak test on that valve, there is lot less air loss.