O-ring snapped on Getzen

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Laursen, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Laursen

Laursen New Friend

Feb 4, 2010
    This might be a noob question but my trumpet is brand new but I want to take best care of it and do the right thing.

On my 390 there are some o-rings mounted on the 1st and 3rd valve slide. One of them snapped. Can I just replace it with a new one from any hardware store (as long as I find the right size) or can I simply remove the rest of the o-rings ? The mian tuning slide doesn't have any o-rings mounted.

I don't think they have any higher purpose besides protecting the slides when closing them and maybe decrease the sound of the slides closing...

Regards, Jakob

2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If you can find the right size replace it, being it came with the o-rings, a missing one could affect the intonation.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Those O-rings are there to dampen the noise when moving those slides while playing. The horn can be used without them, there is just a "click" when moving the slide back in. I am not sure that standard hardware stores have something in this size. Any decent trumpet repair shop will however.

4. Laursen

Laursen New Friend

Feb 4, 2010
    Yeah, the o-ring are probably too small for any hardware store to carry. I will try to remove the rest and see if I can live with the 'click' :) Thanks...

5. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA

Laursen,

Or you could check with a trumpet store for them as Rowuk suggested or try a Getzen dealer to order the rings for you. Seems to me that Getzen added the "o-rings" for a purpose.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I know a couple of players who went to a trumpet repair shop and had o-rings put on trumpets that didn't come with o-rings, and it did affect the intonation. They both removed the o-rings.

7. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    If O-rings affected the intonation, it means they were too thick. The ones that come on trumpets have a very small cross-section (which is also why they break) so the amount that they change the position of the slide is miniscule. It is a bit of a trick to find the right ones. If you go to a music store, make sure they are not just ones they bought from an industrial supply store.

8. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Wayne Tanabe has demonstrated that they dampen the resonance of the instrument. I'd ditch them.

9. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    you can still play the trumpet with only one o-ring, won't hurt or change a thing. as rowuk said - you don't need them. if it really bothers you you can e-mail Getzen and try to get exact replacement o-rings.

10. Laursen

Laursen New Friend

Feb 4, 2010
    Thanks for all the replies. I will contact the shop where I bought the horn and see if the have some original o-rings. Otherwise I will probably write Getzen. As others say I don't think intonation is changed.

Thanks again :)