O-ring snapped on Getzen

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Laursen, Feb 14, 2010.

1. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    ill just throw on a bit more, on one of my horns I never had the O-rings so eventually all the metal banging made the end of my slide deform a bit (no big deal as the repair man fixed it no problem) However any music store that sells brass cleaning kits and what not ought to have the O-rings that will fit your horn, most of the O-rings will fit all trumpets unless its something super custom and special etc. Anyways when I got my Strad my former lessons teacher told me that he didnt want to see the slides get messed up, so he threw on some O-rings he had. Therefore in my experience the O-ring serves two purposes, 1) to dampen the sound of the big metal clang to a thud, 2) to keep the end of the slide from deforming as quickly as it would without it. Just drop by your local music shop is what I would say, its not hard, just be careful I was putting on the O-rings by myself my first time they snapped alot, so buy quite a few (they're cheap) and try not to snap them, you'll get it after a bit. Have fun!

2. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Plus if your like me and in high school, not playing proffessionally, then if it actually does "dampen" your sound then you shouldnt be to concerned about it. I mean if im not playing proffessionally I do not want my slides to get messed up and pay money to fix em, and ill live with quieter slides. Besides im not even at that level to tell a big difference. But they are thinner than rubber bands so they snap easily and they dont really affect your tone from what my amatuer experience can tell, just the protect your slides better.