Observations in human nature.....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I have been on both forums for many years and understand the first post. I know there are many basic subjects beaten to death [I have asked several] but I know that in the past when I used the search feature I would get a pot pourri of posts, most which didn't even address what I was seeking. I would end up asking the same question once again. In each case there would have been new members that would add their experince which would help greatly. Its all good.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Gmonady: "... Practice makes perfect, but nobody's perfect, so why practice?"

Funny! And btw, I can't find a flaw in that logic anywhere.:dontknow:

Turtle

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    To further hijack the thread:
    These are BY FAR the best plastic mouthpieces I have come across - developed by Gerry Cousins of Best Products. THe "Max" versions were sold by Allan Colin of Colin publications.

I always keep a clear plastic Max 1 1/2 C in the drivers door compartment of my car to cover any emergencies.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    One reason the answer is buried (sometimes DEEEEEP) is the tendency to go CPT KIRK in all of us. I rarely use the search function for the reason's you stated.

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I ate one in college.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The oral trauma from all the splinters after crunching through the axe must have been painful - or did you first remove the pulp?

7. B-Flat Cat

B-Flat Cat Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    I once had a chance encounter with an impressive Blue Shark while scuba diving. I experienced a number of emotions and sensations, one of which was my rapid descent on the food chain.:shock:

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Here is my follow up when I use this conflict of sayings, which addresses the point of this thread "Observations in human nature..."

If on striving for perfection, we think we achieve it, human nature is to stop right there. But when we stop, thinking we reached the final outcome, then we stagnate, end our creativity.

So in practicing, we do this knowing we will always progress, and taking perfection to the next level, or going beyond perfection. That is the goal I like to convey and be proud to say this is the real drive behind human nature. Never be content at where you are.

So to answer my question: Practice makes perfect, but no body's perfect so why practice?

Answer: Because practicing takes you beyond perfection, to a higher level yet defined, but will define a new course of action, a new goal to try to achieve through practice.

9. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    We are relational creatures. Even if something has already been asked, we who asked it want an answer in that particular time or stage of our development.

We are also narcissistic enough to think that perhaps we are so unique there may be some facet of our redundant question that is truly specific to us that makes it somewhat different.

As for people doing what they want even after receiving overwhelming advice to the contrary, yeah, that IS irritating. LOL

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I prefer Spam!