Observations in human nature.....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Mar 3, 2011.

1. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    It's time...

This thread has earned it......

[​IMG]

2. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    I have used the search function often trying to find information and like everything that is Internet based I see that I get everything and more back and 90% is not related to what I was searching for. Sometimes I get good info from the search and sometimes I find that someone has something in a signature line or elsewhere that gets picked up in the search but has nothing to do with what I am really searching for...

Here is the other crazy thing... Sometimes I can find things better by going to google, perform the search that then points to Trumpetmaster, and then following the link back to Trumpetmaster.com. :-?

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that the purpose of a forum is different than a research resource. This is one of the things that the information age is shaking out. The primary purpose of a forum is communication in any way shape or form that the individual member is capable of. For a beginner, it is asking questions, for the idiot it is bragging about things they know nothing about (based on the assumption that someone else is impressed), for the knowledgable, it is sharing what has been freely given to them, for the the technical journalist it is providing the longest geekiest responses, to the lonely it is an attempt to get a personal answer. There are of course many other aspects, but you all get the gist.

One major point that can never be forgotten: this place is what we make it. Everyone that posts gives this place character. Asking the same question hundreds of times may make it boring for the informed, but some beginners could care less about that - they simply want to be spoon fed.

Yes, the world is changing. Research is tougher than ever because of the verbal vomit everywhere. Skills for tomorrow will be to read books to know what is garbage on the web and what is good. Even judging from some of the advice posted here, great caution is required in an open forum.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Very good point. I have done that often.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  6. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    VB, that link seems to be blocked, at least from my computer. But a wild guess that it was to a veggie tales clip . . . I thought you hated vegetables.

7. mtbevins

mtbevins Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona

Very well put! :thumbsup:

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    ROWUK's remark about verbal vomit reminds me:

I usually regurgitate the roughage. Also clams.

9. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    In all seriousness, at some point things tend to repeat themselves, perhaps by chance if not by design.

As a subscriber to aviation, automobile and cooking magazines, I would always notice that after time the same Cessna 172 was given a pilot review for the umpteenth time. Same for cars. Even recipes fall into this category...how many different ways are there to grill a burger?

So that subjects get repeated frequently on this forum (or elsewhere) should be of no surprise.

I guess the old adage "There is nothing new under the sun" holds true.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Clams! You used the word "clams" in a post on a thread among trumpet players? I prefer Mile's philosophy, that there is no wrong note in jazz. You're not regurgitating clams, your playing great jazz!

And then there's the sea food...