Octavider

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by [email protected], Sep 20, 2011.

1. jsherrer31@gmail.com

[email protected] New Friend

Nov 22, 2010
    elmira,ny / atlanta ga
    Does anyone know where I can get an "octivider?" it has a pick-up which attatches to the mouthpiece and sub divides the fundamental into 1/2 and 1/4 frquency to simulate trombone and tuba.

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    A pickup on a mouthpiece? Can you explain how this works - with a picture would be nice.

--bumblebee

3. MSfortissimo

MSfortissimo Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    I too am interested

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    In the 70's I used a transducer on my trumpet and had it connected top an "Octive Box", also used a phase shifter and a wah-wah box.

I don't have a picture of mine, but here is a trombone mouthpiece with a transducer on it used the same way.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Barcus Berry used to make transducers for brass instruments, using a piezo microphone. The original Octivider was, I believe, analog--but now many digital harmonizers can do the same. Some other neat toys: NoiseFX - Colorsound Octivider

6. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    Yep, had a similar toy in the 70's, a Condor RSM made by Hammond Innovex. Analog, noisy, cheesy, but really kinda cool.

7. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    In the '70, in a summer concert in southern France, I heard Dusko Gojkovic playing with that thing : the trumpet was simultaneously doubled an octave lower, like a trombone. Amazing !

8. Flugel52

Flugel52 Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2011
    Central Florida
    Wow, I haven't heard about these things in years. I remember trying something similar in the 70's that plugged into the water key port on the tuning slide (or you could add a fitting to the tubing with a cap to close it when not in use. It seems like you could multiply as well as divide the octaves - lots of guys could hit double C! If I remember correctly, Don Ellis used one on occasion. It would be great fun to find something like that again!

Steve

9. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    The RSM would do 1 or 2 octaves lower, and 1 octave higher, but it wasn't a natural sound. It could also generate different sounds (clarinet, organ, strings, etc) that sounded like a cheap home organ.
    We also had a GSM for guitar, which used a hexaphonic pickup which we used almost exclusively as a bass substitute (we were a trio) at times.