Odd buzzing from side of lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by man, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Man, is this an all-of-the-time thing or a some-of-the-time thing?

2. man

man New Friend

Oct 11, 2014
    It can be either, as some times it when every I play around high c, but others times only when I'm rather fatigued.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    See if you can make it happen at will, and analyze how you make it buzz out the side, then simply stop doing it.

4. man

man New Friend

Oct 11, 2014
    I'll be sure to try that.

5. man

man New Friend

Oct 11, 2014
    I would right now, but neighbors.

6. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    The main thing is to focus on the part of your lips outside the mouthpiece while not compromising suppleness and flexibility within. With time and proper practice, this problem will go away. Using a Warburton P.E.T.E. might help you get in the habit of forming a more centered, precise embouchure, but remember that this is a supplemental exercise, and results vary with the individual.

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Isn't that the name of a Norwegian female trumpet player?

8. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    No you are thinking of the famous paraplegic Dickensian trumpet player with a penchant for shouting "God Bless Us Evey One" before regaling the audience with Christmas Carols

You know "Tiny Tim Helseth"

A true trumpet cracker joke

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Occasionally, with COPD as I gasp for air from the corners and closure doesn't follow immediately I notice a minimal lip buzz from that sector and shut it off quickly enough that it may not be noticed by others or disrupt my continuance of playing significantly. As an advocate and consistent user of P.E.T.E. IMO such has no bearing on this issue.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you are not really "prepared" to do what is required, things creep into your playing, then you get the choices taken away.......

If you have "only" been playing for 3 years and already have a lot of parts up to C above the staff, you better have a very stable DAILY routine and start dealing with the issues. We do not build range by adding ever more tension and pressure. We build it by playing smarter. Excessive pressure only works for a little while. I teach the use of "relaxed" lip slurs and longtones to build range.