Odd buzzing from side of lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by man, Dec 23, 2014.

1. man

man New Friend

Oct 11, 2014
    I do lip slurs and long tones pretty often. I feel certain now that the leaking is due to pressure, but no matter what I try I physically can't stop using so much pressure.

2. jmberinger

jmberinger Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2007
    Long Beach, California
    Increasing strength, particularly in the corners, is based upon the foundation/physical strength used for the notes that precede the strength failure. In other words, it is not the "top note" that is the issue; it is the notes before it. Identify where the failure does not occur, and then work on approaching that note series until there is no failure when you do go for the next note.

Take your time, you are working a problem; while there will be improvement each time it will be incremental and not completely resolve overnight.

One other things to remember, you are working with muscles. Muscles are not always consistent is their strength and/or physical flexibility. They are also influenced by the mental framework in which you are working, how you feel about the range in which you are working and the "immediacy" of the moment. And that is not to mention hydration, temperature, where you are playing, etc.

Take your time with warming up, cut yourself some slack and approach the issue with understanding that "this too will pass". Just work the problem with deliberation. Slowly and daily and it will go away by itself. And by the way, with the development of muscle memory, this will be one of the challenges that you overcame and just be a memory to pass on to others.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  3. man

man New Friend

Oct 11, 2014
    Thanks for the help jmberinger. But does anyone have any tips for reducing pressure? As I alone can't figure it out.

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I found reducing pressure one of the biggest challenges in all of my playing, and still (and I suspect this is more common than most people admit) have to go back to work on it. I think this is Rowuk's (not sure) advice but it is the best thing for me.

Play a comfortable note say G on the stave then "pull" the horn away from your lip until it sounds awful then do what you have to without adding pressure to make the note work. I find if I am not carefull my body works against me doing this so ensure good body use and breathing. For me the left arm can get very tight doing this so I have to be careful of tension, not pressure but tension creeping from my arm to my torso.

Hope this helps

A

5. jmberinger

jmberinger Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2007
    Long Beach, California
    Start with the mouthpiece, see the Stamp method, and start the sound production with as little pressure as possible while still maintaining the seal around the mouthpiece. It is not necessarily the pressure itself, but it is the application of pressure prior to the sealing of the embouchure and release of the air flow that is a substantial issue here.

Flexed muscles are less subject to blood vessel compression than un-flexed ones. The lack of blood flow is a substantial issue and one of the reason for depreciated endurance and long term sound production problems. Pressure does compress the aperture, which is then forced open by air stream compression, but it also restricts the ability of the lips to maintain their ability to vibrate.

Less pressure actually makes the sound production easier. Work the air stream for both consistency and velocity. You are looking for a steady mouthpiece tone while resting the mouthpiece one between your fingers.

Don't "push" the mouthpiece into your lips, bring your lips to the mouthpiece in time with your breadth. Intake breadth, close and then exhale in rhythm and the pressure issue will take care of itself. I know that this is difficult to visualize, but check out the various Stamp teachers online for their input.

6. man

man New Friend

Oct 11, 2014
    Thank you all for your advice.

7. Reedman1

Reedman1 Piano User

Sep 5, 2013
    NY, USA
    Oh that's bad. ;)

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Playing with less pressure starts with a "prepared body" capable of breathing deeply and exhaling with no "bump" between the two. Then we replace exhale with play - NO TONGUE to get the notes started - just "exhale" through the embouchure into the horn. With a bit of practice, we get the hang of sounds starting in a relaxed way. We use long tones and lip slurs exhaled this way to clean up a lot of sins. I recommend the Earl Irons book for lipslurs that do a good job of EVOLUTION. My method is called the "Circle of Breath" and it is here many times over. Google it and you have my take.

Before we get the foundation built, there is no way that we can build to the stratosphere. You obviously are in a hurry and that is your biggest enemy. The human body cannot be rushed! We get better by building habits that take hundreds to thousands of repetitions of correct playing. Putting a bandaid on "deficient" does not work.

A good teacher gets their students a proper daily routine that is there for maintenance. Questions like this do not even come up if the student is diligent about maintenance.

You either slow down now or wait for your teacher to tell you the same thing.

9. man

man New Friend

Oct 11, 2014
    Rowuk thank you for your great advice as always, though in all generality I'm in no particular rush, I seek to fix my mistakes as quickly as posible yes, but I only spoke of my upper range playing as my director expects my top players to play it unrealistically well for his lowest band (nothing wrong with being in the bottom band in my opinion.) Also thank you all who posted on this thread for their advice, I have greatly reduced my pressure and gotten that range much cleaner and nicer to hear.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If the human body only worked this way........ I almost get angry when I read stuff like this. Like a miracle happened, pressure was gone and life was wonderful - even without a live lesson and someone monitoring progress. PURE BS. I really wonder why "young" players post this stuff. Are we supposed to believe ANYTHING that they say? It does reinforce my belief that internet lessons are a problem due to lack of real control. We are back to the old adage: believe half of what you see and none of what you hear!

If we play with pressure and then suddenly reduce it, our playing caves - until new habits are developed and this take weeks, months, years. You see, everything is connected to everything else. We cannot tweak the chops without changing a ton of other stuff. Our playing never gets turned around in days.