Odd buzzing from side of lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by man, Dec 23, 2014.

1. man

man New Friend

Oct 11, 2014
    I've been working to reduce pressure for months, but just now am I starting to see/feel the effect of my efforts to do so.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Why do you mention this for the first time now? Is this what you "expect" us to believe.

Try to take a look at this whole thread from the eyes of a good parent. The child comes home and tells a story (why a bad grade, why the car has a dent,....). Based on everything that a parent knows about the child, they know that the story can't be so. They have three choices: ignore, confront, use as an opportunity.

Now in that context, read everything that you wrote. We can ignore, confront or use as an opportunity. What do you do? You continue to post what you THINK that we want to read. The problem is that many of us know how the pieces fit together and this type of blogging simply gives us more reason to write off the effort.

So, I challenge you: tell us exactly what you have been doing to reduce pressure and what results that you have had. Resist the urge to copy/paste what you think that we want to read. This thread has already given us all of the cues that we need.......

Consider one thing: if we know the truth, what does further BS get you? If you don't come clean, how are we supposed to help? Do you think that all of your Facebook "Friends" are really friends that are for you regardless of the circumstances?

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sorry Man for your distress, but there is no easy fix here. I agree 100% with Rowuk and you will just have to give your fix on the issue some time. Playing more softly will definitely lessen muscle fatigue while you recover muscle tone. But muscle remodeling takes time. It will come, but we must learn to live with it. Doesn't muscle physiology just suck!

4. man

man New Friend

Oct 11, 2014
    Sorry to seem like I'm "BSing" you rowuk, though I haven't been lying or anything of the nature at all. I've done long times and lip slurs every time I practice for about a year. My pressure was so suddenly reduced as I simply concentrated on not smashing my trumpet into my lips.

5. jmberinger

jmberinger Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2007
    Long Beach, California
    Man: Let me make an inquiry: what is the purpose of your playing trumpet? Is it a long term journey or just to finish the semester? Are you looking to trumpet for a career, a long term growth interest or to play in the marching band and get a stipend for college?

From the commentary you have not been playing for long. Three years is not a long time in the trumpet world, and a short time for understanding the mechanics of sound production. If you are looking for a career or have long term trumpet goals, ignore the "I have to play first" drum beat and use the second part to develop the muscle memory and get the mechanism right. Use practice to be part of the journey, work on the sound production and let someone else bust their chops so the director gets the glory.

Basically, is this because of you or because of the director?