Odd Learning Style

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Jun 29, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Well today I was kinda evaulating how i play and learn. I then realized that my skill always boosted tremendously when I was put in a higher level band, sitting next to someone more advanced. Within a week I can play like them. When I am in a settled spot, I can practice like crazy, yet the results are minimal. In marching band I magically learned how to play the first part by accident because I learn by listening. Does anyone else learn like this? In other words does playing with someone with a higher skill set boost your skill?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You are not properly observing what is happening.

If you did exactly the same things, the results would be the same. When you sit next to someone better, the things not so good become apparent. You work on them, and you improve.

It just means that are not a good judge of what is important. The guy next to you is necessary to highlight your deficits.

Stagnating without "competition" is a lack of drive on your part. If the trumpet is important, you need to get a handle on that.

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Playing with better players can be great motivation, if you can play at that level once you can do it all the time if you work at it.

4. DanZ_FL

DanZ_FL Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2009
    Clearwater, Florida
    That's it, I'm demanding one of the chairs with Florida Orchestra. After all, it's the only way I'm going to get better!:-P

5. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Thats a good way of putting it. I never really had the drive to practice until freshman year, and it worked a lot better when I had the mindset to become best in the school. I guess I better get this figured out real quick if it means my evaluation skills need to be improved. But part of it I think is it allows me to listen to someone better in skill then me, which in turn allows me to get a goal in my mind on how I want to sound by the end of the year.

6. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    if listening makes you better than try taking an arban, listen to the characteristic studies, there are free mp3s some where, its a great site, and just playem down... we all are different and if you need a boost give that a try, its a humbling experience!

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Playing with better players does indeed make us better ourselves. Just imitate the better players when you are the lead.

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Do you take private lessons? A teacher is always good for a kick in the pants motivation. They will stress working on your weaknesses. This keeps you moving forward.

9. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Part of improving is learning to recognize what needs to be better. Being surrounded with examples of "better," live or recorded the best way I know to figure that out. You have to hear on a higher lever then you play before you can start playing to that level. Then you learn to hear another level beyond that, and so on... Sometimes it isn't so much what you practice as much as really knowing how you want to sound.