Odor on hand

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    When I play my old cornet, I end up with an odor on my hand that I don't have on my other horns.
    Is this possibly the laquer is gone and I am dealing with raw brass?
    How can I tell?

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    If your hand goes a bit green, or it smells like you just held a handful of pennies, then it is raw brass.

3. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    I have a raw brass horn, and after every use my hands smell like pennies. If your seeing parts where it is missing lacquer or where it's dull, it probably just raw brass there.

Picture would help.

4. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    if you lick it and it tastes metallic, its raw... haha... not a fun test... but oh well

5. missmybaby

missmybaby Pianissimo User

Sep 27, 2009
    Detroit Metro
    "Hey, smell my finger! huh-huhuhuh!"
    Sorry, my inner 5 year old needed to post.
    :-?

BTW, the metallic taste test works. Just finished practicing on my horn that's worn to the brass on the valve-casing. Yuck.

6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    The best way to do a fast and reliable check is to use an electrical multi-meter (ohmmeter) and check for continuity. Touch one probe to an area of known raw brass (inside of one of the tuning glides works) and then touch various points of the outside of the horn (be careful if it is a pointed probe). If there is continuity (0 ohms) the horn is raw brass. If it is infinity, the lacquer is intact. Anything in between means the battery in your meter is shot.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Three cheers for the inner 5 y.o. :thumbsup:

8. simso

simso Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2009
    Australia, Perth
    I like comeback kids recommendation, that is a well thought out idea, never have thought of that. I personally have a machine that tells me whats on the surface and what thickness it is.

Simplest way is get a cotton ball soak it in vinegar and sit it on the surface, leave it for about 15 minutes, come back and see if there is any green or whether the section you sat it on has changed colour green - or even brighter

If you are getting an odor, odds are your perspiration is very acidic, this is not an uncommon problem but means I recommemd you stay away from bare brass instruments, not that its bad for you but yes its bad for the instruments